What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

more flood pics.....Poplar River

yesterday the Roosevelt County Sheriffs department told my wife she could tag along to go check out the flooding on the Poplar River, 20 miles as the crow flies down stream from us is approximately where it also enters the Missouri River....keep in mind mid June in the past i have pretty much waded across this river well down stream from most of these pics and barely got my knees wet....most places anyone with a decent arm can throw a baseball across the river and hit the far bank....

my wife and the Highway 2 bridge just west of the town of Poplar.....mos the time there is bout 10 or 12 feet or so between the bottom of the bridge and the river
IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9619.jpg

bad currents and lil whirlpools and eddies were common
IMG_9644.jpg

this isnt wake from the boat, this is the river ripping through a narrow channel between the main bank and an island
IMG_9545.jpg

on the left hand trunk you can sorta see an orange line.....thats 8 foot up the tree.....this tree is in the middle of what is normally a wheat field
IMG_9562.jpg

as i said, normally you can throw a baseball across the Poplar River
IMG_9614.jpg

IMG_9603.jpg

my wife has been on Fort Peck Resevoir throwing out some of its worst but she was very happy to get out of the boat on the end of this trip, she said the currents were unreal, they would be traveling along smoothly and all the sudden would get tossed up against the bank cause of a real strong eddy.....and this was our lil dinky Poplar River and not the Missouri...

Wow, jeez! Also, I love the "as the crow flies" :p. Hope you're all doing ok out there with the flooding though.

lol ive got no clue how far it is following all the bends in the river.....the highway is pretty straight though and its 20 miles straight from my office to the bridge in the pic with my wife....

---------- Post added at 10:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

as far as how we are coping cause of the flooding....pretty much ok, there are about 36 homes that are in danger, some of these due more to roads washing out than the house themselves getting hit......

whole lot of crop land is underwater though and will be into fall.....which normally wouldnt be the end of the world but we have had so much rain this spring that it was near impossible for farmers to plant their land that was off the river bottom aswell....last figure i saw showed bout 30% of the cropland in the county as being planted.....figure less than 10% of total available land is actually affected by the flood....

we really havent had much problems, neighbors helped neighbors and most had their cattle and equipment moved up off the river bottom with many days to spare....we all kinda flinched when we heard FEMA was going to show up.....for the most part we can take care of our own quick and better than .gov stepping in.....might could use help when the water subsides but for now we are pretty well ok....

Back