What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who has the strangest pet

I'm pretty sure the one Liz has there is a little freshwater blue lobster. They go for around $40 at aquarium shops, if I recall correctly.
~Joe

I used to have a couple pygmy leaf chameleons, those were probably my strangest pet, not much in the way of this forum's competition.

I have chickens and geese too, but those are pretty standard as well.

pet-rock.jpg

I keep it next to my mood ring

Wow Liz! You have a red-bellied pirahna? Aren't those supposed to be illegal?

Liz: OMG I <3 SHEBA!!!

The blue lobster is pretty cool too :)

HA Butch! I had one of those! :)

The only critter I can show that hasn't been shown yet are my "Vampire Crabs" or Geosessarma sp. "Red" (species not yet known discovered in Feb 2010 in Sulawesi). I got 5 pairs of an imported WC group and have successfully bred the surviving adults. They seem to be very easy going.

Two males battling for burrowing space under the Nepenthes ampullaria
redvampire3.jpg

It's Mr Crabs! Their claws are hell for crickets but human fingers are perfectly safe.

redvampire5.jpg

I like how they always hold their claws crossed in front of them they look pensive and nervous which fits them because they are surprisingly fast moving and skittish. They bolt for the closest burrow tunnel the second they perceive any sort of "threatening" movement outside their vivarium - such as a camera being aimed in their direction...

Yaaay! I was just waiting for crabby pics.
~Joe

My favorite lizard I have owned is Uromastyx geyri, followed closely by a Jackson's Chameleon but they don't live as long.

Uromastyx geyri, the color is unbelievable.
Uromastyx003.jpg

-Jeremiah-

Whoa! He's got a cactus for a tail! :D
~Joe

I wouldn't consider them "pets", and I dont know if they qualify as "strange", but for a number of years I kept a variety of arboreal vipers and some other venomous guys. Sadly I no longer own these as my husband didnt like the idea of living in the same house with them no matter how responsible of a keeper I was.

My favorite girl, that I had for many many years. Raised from a baby. Atheris squamigera.
SquamFrontside10-9-07_0231.jpg

SquamClose_9039.jpg

SquamDisplay_9044.jpg

This little girl was also pretty awesome. Atheris chlorechis
ChlorBodyBranchDime2-1_7495.jpg

ChlorEyeMacro2-1_7529.jpg

A male sidewinder that made it to be a mascot of some graphics company. I was hired by some company to take photos for them of this guy, to use as distribution material.
WinderCloseTongue2_5289.jpg

WinderBodyTongue_5239.jpg

Baby gaboon viper, showing off his impressive fangs.
GabbyFeeding12-20_3271.jpg

And just because he's a unique looking turtle(at last to those used to just seeing Red Eared Sliders), here's my Diamondback Terrapin, Land Phil
3844134166_c9b1b4bb2f_o.jpg

Last edited:
Those vipers are AWESOME!!! Unfortuately, I do not have the guts to try keeping one of them :D

However, I have owned/own many "exotic" pets including: 3 shovelnose catfish, 4 red-bellied pacus, several silver arowanas, 2desert tortoises, a scorpion, 2 veiled chameleons, a corn snake, a ball python, a garter snake, 2 salamanders, SEVERAL jumping spiders (WC that I do not know the names of), several black widows and daddy long legs who I have suscessfully bred, multiple mediterranean praying mantises who I have also bred, mediterranean geckos who run all over outside, leopard geckos, and gosh, I hope I mentioned them all! :D

Here are some photos of the animals above. Sadly, I was unable to take photos of all my animals as I kept many of them when I was younger when I didn't have a phone or passed away

My male veiled chameleon, Lowie! Sadly he passed away last year and was 8 years old :(
16hrzon.jpg

Our Westie, Lacey :)
35i7s52.jpg

My father's shovelnose catfish and one of his red-bellied pacus!
v8gcg4.jpg

My cornsnake, Ashe
zvvdpg.jpg

and my ball python, Kenya
i4ih34.jpg

Good growing!

Brandon

Last edited:
Not my photo, but I keep hissing cockroaches.
ap_hissing_roach_080410_ssh1.jpg

And of course, Praying Mantis
5723245023_d76e93da64_z.jpg

Awesome photos Brie! I think I've actually come across your A. chlorechis pics before you joined up... small world.
~Joe

oh geeze.. this may take a minute. Here's a "couple" of my 1000's of pets...

postmolt2_2.jpg

premolt1_1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

blondieating.jpg

postmolt4.jpg

DCP_0707.jpg

postmolt3_5.jpg

postmolt5-1.jpg

postmolt95.jpg

postmolt5_2-1.jpg

Blondiclean2-1.jpg

topside.jpg

100_2498.jpg

000_0020-1.jpg

100_4261.jpg

100_4328.jpg

000_0010.jpg

100_0249.jpg

100_1481-1.jpg

100_0402.jpg

100_2380.jpg

1-6.jpg

100_2317-2.jpg

100_4427.jpg

100_6952.jpg

100_5275.jpg

100_7409.jpg

100_4731.jpg

My pet lion.. Funny, I thought only males had manes.

100_5734.jpg

100_6283.jpg

100_4991-1.jpg

Back when they were small..

100_4900-1.jpg

100_4898-1.jpg

lobster magnet..wow..
really awful music has always existed of course..but in the past, only the high school friends of the "musicians" had to be subjected to it..
but now because of youtube, we all get to "enjoy" it. :eek: ;)

Scot

Mass: AHHH OMG *Steals your adult P. miranda and metallica* GIMME!

@Zu: We love you too :hug: <3

@Bag: What I have and what's commonly seen are not even lobsters, they're simply color-morphs of crayfish. That guy was $20 bucks because of his size and color, lesser specimens are slightly less. Atleast at my local shop.

@Joe: :laaa: I love lobsters/all crustaceans (and rays/sharks and cephalopods) so hard <3 True story, ever since I was a tot I've an insufferable affinity for them. Mild proof:
DSCF5620.jpg

DSCF7966.jpg

DSCF7967.jpg

@Brokken: Naw, Spanky was a red-bellied pacu. You are correct, piranha are illegal. Pacu aren't...yet. If they keep turning up in rivers and retention ponds I imagine it won't be long though. *facepalm* I will say it's rumored that fish stockers around here keep piranha with pacu and hybrids may be occurring.

@Brie: :love: Your pics never get old...you had such a grand collection!

@Kraken: OMG :love: /lives under your bed to have CP/Herp/Monster Fish collections too

Back