What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybridization and fruit question.....

joossa

Aklys
I've been wondering about this for a while and have never found a direct answer..... Maybe there isn't any or maybe the answer is specific to the genus or type of plant. ??? So, I thought I would ask here.

Let's say I want to cross 2 different plants that are capable of hybridizing and producing viable seed and viable hybrid plants as a result of that cross. Both plants have very different looking fruit, however. Also, for this question, assume that a hybrid plant will produce fruit that will not look exactly like those of either parent. Instead, the fruit will look like an intermediate version of both parents' fruit.

Here is the scenario and question: I take pollen from one plant and pollinate a flower of the second, different plant. Does the pollen or pollination event have the potential to modify the physical appearance of the respective flower's fruit? Will I get an intermediate (hybrid) looking fruit growing on the mother plant? Or... will I have to wait for the hybrid seed to grow and then produce the hybrid fruit?

I guess it comes down to what portions/tissues of the seed and fruit are derived from what.

139450_Angiospermae.jpg

I know for sure that that seed produced as a result of that cross will result in a hybrid plant which produces hybrid fruit. I'm focused on the hybridization event and the immediate fruit that will grow on the mother plant, though.

Hopefully, I make sense here and am not making too many assumptions. Thanks for any insight! :-O

EDIT: After reading through that mess, I guess I can simplify it more.

-Plant #1 makes blue fruit.
-Plant #2 makes yellow fruit.
-A hybrid of these two plants makes green fruit.
-I take pollen from Plant #1 and pollinate a flower on Plant #2.

Will that flower (on Plant #2) make a green fruit with the hybrid seeds inside or will it make a yellow fruit with the hybrid seeds inside? Does this always happen on all plants or are there exceptions?

Last edited:
The fruit body grows from the ovary which is made of 100% of the "mother" plant's genetic material. I wouldn't expect the appearance of the fruit to be affected by anything other than the number, size and shape of the hybrid seeds within. The fruit of the offspring hybrids when they mature is a different matter.

The fruit body grows from the ovary which is made of 100% of the "mother" plant's genetic material. I wouldn't expect the appearance of the fruit to be affected by anything other than the number, size and shape of the hybrid seeds within. The fruit of the offspring hybrids when they mature is a different matter.

Yeah, that's what I originally thought too. I have seen some anecdotal accounts online to the contrary though. They probably are what they are though... :scratch:

Thanks!

Back