What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planning trip to Byron-Bergen swamp

Exo

Tastes like chicken!
I am planning on taking a trip the Byron-Bergen swamp soon and was wondering if any of the NY members here on TF have ever been there, and if you can give me any tips on where to find the S.purpurea that live there...and if there is sphagnum or any other CPs in the swamp.

I have never been convinced there are in fact purps there..I think the "bog type" is wrong..no floating spagnum mats...but if they are there, I doubt you will be able to easily find them, it is not a "hike friendly" swamp! ;) I have tried it..not only did I not find any CP's, I didnt find any promising CP habitats..
but its also a BIG swamp! perhaps I was just looking in the wrong place..I cant say for certain there are *not* purps there..but IMO its not promising..

Have you been to the swamp with the boardwalk? near Houghton?

Scot

I have never been convinced there are in fact purps there..I think the "bog type" is wrong..no floating spagnum mats...but if they are there, I doubt you will be able to easily find them, it is not a "hike friendly" swamp! ;) I have tried it..not only did I not find any CP's, I didnt find any promising CP habitats..
but its also a BIG swamp! perhaps I was just looking in the wrong place..I cant say for certain there are *not* purps there..but IMO its not promising..

Have you been to the swamp with the boardwalk? near Houghton?

Scot

I know someone who has purpurea with location data from Bergen swamp, and they are listed as growing there, so it seems like they should be there....somewhere. Any Idea what area of the swamp you were in?

I've never been to the Houghton bog...but I know of it..it's a bit of a drive though....as is the Zurich bog, although that is closer.

I have a Bergen Swamp S. purpurea ssp purpurea from seed collected by Pat Coan of Bergen Swamp Preservation Society. Plants were distributed to many of the LACPS members.

It's been probably 10 years since I was out there..
I parked at what was, at the time, the only public entrance..near the south-west corner of the swamp.
there wasnt much of anything "developed", in terms of trails, at all..

I then drove all the way around the outside, on the roads circling the swamp, and didnt find any other entrance..if there is access to the "purp area", wherever it might be, it might be off of surrounding private property..(probably 99% of the edge of the swamp is private property) or perhaps there are more developed trails now..

Scot

I have a Bergen Swamp S. purpurea ssp purpurea from seed collected by Pat Coan of Bergen Swamp Preservation Society. Plants were distributed to many of the LACPS members.

Hmm...so that answers that question.....so the question is...where in the swamp are they? :suspect:

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

It's been probably 10 years since I was out there..
I parked at what was, at the time, the only public entrance..near the south-west corner of the swamp.
there wasnt much of anything "developed", in terms of trails, at all..

I then drove all the way around the outside, on the roads circling the swamp, and didnt find any other entrance..if there is access to the "purp area", wherever it might be, it might be off of surrounding private property..(probably 99% of the edge of the swamp is private property) or perhaps there are more developed trails now..

Scot

There is apparently a south-east trail entrance now too.

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 PM ----------

Here is a crude map...but it seems to show two trails....

http://www.bergenswamp.org/Maps/BergenMap&Directions.pdf

Why not contact Pat Coan?

From the Bergen Swamp website:

http://www.bergenswamp.org/trustees.htm
Contact for Questions:

General Information/Bergen Swamp Affairs: Patti Coan - bsps*at*rochester.rr.com

She's one of the caretakers so she should know were everything is.

Turns out that Patti Coan is no longer affilliated with the Bergen swamp society.....but my message has been forwarded to someone else who can find the info for me......here's hoping he knows or knows someone who does.

Back