What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting an Illinois/Midwest CP Society`

There really is no well established carnivorous plant society for Illinois and most of the midwest region. I think that it would be a good idea to start a society with at least meetings to share cuttings and talk about growing carnivorous plants in the midwest. I would like to start this organization, and I have the resources, but unfortunately I lack knowing enough growers in the area. I would much appreciate your help in starting up the society and knowing if there are enough avid growers to make this happen. For more details contact me at chungfish@comcast.net or respond on the thread. There was talk of a midwest cps in 2004 http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91511&highlight=midwest+society but that seems to have fallen through. I would want a society with regular meetings and maybe a convention of sorts.
Thanks,
Peter Chung

Oh. well wouldn't you think that we should make a more formed organization, with a website and a forum and maybe a convention? Sorry if I come across strong, but I don't really think that a group that meets twice a year can be called a society. Even though the group is small, if we get the public involved with a open meetings, it should expand quickly. If we talk to the NECPS guys I'm sure we could get something with some real structure and maybe monthly meetings up and running. I am hopeful and happy to work with you.

Kind of.... I guess we are all too spread out and/or busy to have more than one meeting that some can attend. If there were a formal group I'm sure more localized folks would attend and it would grow. I don't disagree with your thinking though. For now I'm gonna try to make it to Indy this year !

I glad there is interest sparking! I am going to set up a website and a proboards forum in the near future and would love your help especially if we set up a board of sorts.

I would be interested in the forum aspect, especially if it were to increase opportunities to get to know and trade with people in this region of the country, but I would still be too far away myself to get to any meetings...

Thanks, that's why I made the forum! I think that the trading/selling rules on my forum will be more relaxed than here.

you might want to make a shout out on the ICPS site as well...might attract folks from there too...

Oh. well wouldn't you think that we should make a more formed organization, with a website and a forum and maybe a convention? Sorry if I come across strong, but I don't really think that a group that meets twice a year can be called a society. Even though the group is small, if we get the public involved with a open meetings, it should expand quickly. If we talk to the NECPS guys I'm sure we could get something with some real structure and maybe monthly meetings up and running. I am hopeful and happy to work with you.

"Twice a year" makes a great society IMO!
The problem with "local" CP clubs, is that most of the time, there just arent enough people within a short distance to support any kind of real group that can meet on a regular basis..maybe Chicago, London, etc. can pull it off..but I know of only three CP growers in Western NY, and we are pretty spread out..No one can reasonably make a monthly meeting, every month..its just too far to drive! ;) Im not saying it cant be done! but this is a well known issue/problem when it comes to CP clubs specifically...monthly meetings just arent practical..twice a year, or even once a year "conventions" are a lot more doable, and apart from that, the club has to mostly exist in the virtual world..

Scot

Of course then the midwest is chicago, with meetings probably at the chicago botanical gardens. So using your logic, we should be able to pull it off!

If I can get my act together, I should be able to host another meeting this fall.

-Nate

I'd love to work with you in hosting a meeting at the chicago botanic gardens. Can you please make an account on the forum? http://midwestcps.proboards.com/

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

The reason I say the botanic gardens, not your place is that I believe that getting the public involved is the best way to save these unique plants from extinction.

Back