What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got an airbrush. Some stuff I made

• Thread starter Doomsday
  • Start date
Hey everyone! Ive been out for a long time because I've been really busy, but I'm back now and I figured I'd come back with a nice fun thread. Some of my airbrush works! I just got this airbrush 3 days ago (its my first one ever) and I am no artist, although I am teaching myself now for a week hahaha! Mainly airbrushing though.

All pics taken with my new iPhone4, no editing, all just quick snapshots.

This is a spare xbox 360 controller shell. (I didn't prime or sand so it is peeling which is fine because I am going to sand it off completely and redo it for actual use this week. This was jsut a demo. Didn't try to stop the peeling lol :p
d3f91652.jpg

This is a huge mouse pad (trading card game mat) that I use to test some designs. My first lightning.
3e5ea086.jpg

This is a clam shell with a dark night lightning theme. I would go a bit thinner on the lightning in the future, but its my second try (total, and first try on a shell which is not flat obv.) so I'm happy.
e44419ae.jpg

These two pics are the same shell. One with flash, one without. Did not clear coat it because I don't want it shiny or too smooth because I love the natural out of the ocean look it has. Same reason I didn't do a solid white base coat. I like the effect of just misting the paints so they act more as a dye than a solid paint.
I went for the classic "souvenir from Atlantis theme here :lol:"
9c6630a8.jpg

699233b8.jpg

Oh and for Liz and Exo, and my other chatbox buds, I came back with better grammar!!! :-))

---------------------------

Just made this for my little cuz.
have to clear coat it soon
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xJwyBS95l0A?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Oooooh, very nice works!!! Honestly, they're really good but I bet they'll only get better after time :-D

Whoa nice lightening!

Nice!! I really like the lightning! Care to share your techniques?

@Thez/Devon.B: Thanks! I love the way lightning looks so I am trying to perfect it as soon as possible LOL!

@Devon.. Do you airbrush/spraypaint? I basically did a light thick foggy coat of white where the lightning bolt would be, to give it glow, then I did a light mist of blue over that and then a sharp thin white line through the middle. Everything else is a matter of preference like flaring up the "joints" and adding background light/color. It's a perfect example of one of those designs that isn't set in stone and can be customized a lot, but needs practice. No matter how much you study it or watch people do it you need to get the feel for yourself and it should come naturally. I like that it is so sporadic and shocking because it gives you leeway when painting/drawing it to make it fit into your image. :)

I don't airbrush, but I have a friend who does.

Nice!

I have an airbrush but a really crappy air compressor actually two. A hobby pump that only goes to 40 PSI sold for airbrushing but it sputters so no good for "air brushing" anymore. And I have a hardware store one I used to use to prime my resin pressure casting tank with and it has a two gallon air storage capacity but it's loud as hell and doesn't hold air very long. :(

Someday I'd like to get a good air comp so I could do nice stuff too.

Oh yeah, here's a DIY recipie from my old sculpting days on cheap airbrush cleaner:

70% blue windshield washer fluid
30% distilled water

Save a bit of $$ on the cleaner fluid as you can make a gallon of this for $1.50 compared to $9 per 3 oz of it at the art shop. :p

Nice!

I have an airbrush but a really crappy air compressor actually two. A hobby pump that only goes to 40 PSI sold for airbrushing but it sputters so no good for "air brushing" anymore. And I have a hardware store one I used to use to prime my resin pressure casting tank with and it has a two gallon air storage capacity but it's loud as hell and doesn't hold air very long. :(

Someday I'd like to get a good air comp so I could do nice stuff too.

Oh yeah, here's a DIY recipie from my old sculpting days on cheap airbrush cleaner:

70% blue windshield washer fluid
30% distilled water

Save a bit of $$ on the cleaner fluid as you can make a gallon of this for $1.50 compared to $9 per 3 oz of it at the art shop. :p

Thanks! Right now I am working with windex ammonia free and water... Ill have to try that too. The cleaner is really only necessary to get off dried paint or major clogs that have been stuck for a long time from what Ive been reading today.

Just made this.
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xJwyBS95l0A?rel=0&hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ah. sweet. thanks for sharing...

I am often tempted to hook up to a regulator at work and have at it with my old Pasche (or however you spell it). First I gotta find it again!

Back