What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has any one purchased...

• Thread starter gill_za
  • Start date

gill_za

Never Knows Best
I am aware that the rules prohibit advertising or discussing other vendors but in my case I'm trying to resolve a certain issue and for that I will need to mention a vendor... If the administration feels that this thread is in violation of the forum rules please remove it if possible.

Here goes:
This will be a weird request but it will help me solve an issue I have encountered.
Has anyone here purchased plants from your local nurseries that have been supplied to them by fly-trapfarm.com (they moved to flytrapfarm.com)?

If you did could you please top water them while in a separate tray (preferably clear tray) to collect the run off water. Once collected could you please place the tray onto a dark background, let the watter settle and look carefully for anything moving around randomly. Please let me know if you see anything.

Last edited:
Could they just simply be fungus gnat larvae? I don't haven't any plants from them though.

could you please place the tray onto a dark background, let the watter settle and look carefully for anything moving around randomly.

All of my outdoor trays for pot cultivation are full of water flea alike things "moving around randomly" in the water, each time the trays carry some water for longer than a week and temperature stays above freezing point outside.

And I never ever purchased anything at the supplier you mentioned.

So what topic are you driving at?

More detail would help as far as what you are trying to get at. Heck, I have yellow jackets and wasps that drink the water in my trays, I have earth worms, scorpions, fleas, etc.

If they are associated with Fly-trap Farms in NC the owner claims to field collect his flytraps from family owned property (not necessarily his family) in NC. Pots of damp media left outdoors (such as in a nursery) for any length of time will attract any manner of fauna like springtails, slugs, snails or fungus gnats

Could they just simply be fungus gnat larvae? I don't haven't any plants from them though.

Don't think so. Fungus gnats live in the top layer of the soil and don't swim well. Besides they are just mini maggots.

jesse said:
All of my outdoor trays for pot cultivation are full of water flea alike things "moving around randomly" in the water, each time the trays carry some water for longer than a week and temperature stays above freezing point outside.

And I never ever purchased anything at the supplier you mentioned.

So what topic are you driving at?

My plants are strictly home grown. Never seen outside (while in my care..)
I'm concerned that that particular vendor/nursery sells plants with hitchhikers and I want to check that.

Baylorguy said:
More detail would help as far as what you are trying to get at. Heck, I have yellow jackets and wasps that drink the water in my trays, I have earth worms, scorpions, fleas, etc.

Details: if you have plants from that particular vendor, could you please put the plant in an empty tray, top water the plant to collect the run off water. check water for anything unusual ... possible critter: 1 to 2 mm long thinner than hair worms. They don't grow larger than that and swim in water in a peculiar circular way.

You wash off scorpions into the water trays from plants??.... :) JK

Not a Number said:
If they are associated with Fly-trap Farms in NC the owner claims to field collect his flytraps from family owned property (not necessarily his family) in NC.

Hmm well he might have a problem on his property, because all of the plants I got from him came with little extra party gifts that I can't get rid of now... But I want to check with other owners if they experience the same issue.

A healthy soil ecology in nature will include fauna of all sorts.

If you bought the plants from a local nursery and have an issue with them it seems to me that it should be taken up with the nursery. If they are blaming it on their supplier the burden of proof is on the nursery to show that it is the suppliers fault. Even if it is the suppliers fault the nursery should be the one to correct the fault with the consumer and settle the issue with the supplier.

I agree with NaN, it's natural to have creepy crawlies in soil. I have some interesting stuff in some of my pots. If you're concerned about bugs in the soil, put some Utrics in the pots - they'll help trap the larval stage and keep populations from getting out of control.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I do still hope that someone with plants from that particular vendor will see the thread and check their soil. I would like to confirm or cancel my suspicion that they were the origin of the pests.

On the side note I've just checked scopus.com and found bunch of articles describing that Trichoderma species exhibit nematicide activity... whadayaknow :)

And thanks for the tip about utrics. I have tried growing sandersonii in one of the most troubeled pots but it did not take. I will try U. livida.

Pots of damp media left outdoors (such as in a nursery) for any length of time will attract any manner of fauna like springtails, slugs, snails or fungus gnats

Springtails are so common and love moisture.
We get them everywhere. At least neem seems to kill them..

Steve

Springtails are so common and love moisture.
We get them everywhere. At least neem seems to kill them..

Steve

Aren't springtails more of an inconvenience than a pest?

Back