What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All of my indoor plants are relatively young, but I'm pretty proud of their progress so far. Thanks to everyone who has offered me valuable advice over the last year!

First up, Neps!

N. sanguinea, my first nep. This one grows so fast I can hardly keep up! Luckily all its neighbors are kind enough to oblige a pitcher or two.
5973750425_1e093cf4ce_z.jpg

N. ventricosa. This one drives me a bit nuts. It has a nasty habit of hiding new pitchers under its leaves.
5973748155_0309e0418a_z.jpg

N. talangensis. This one never has more than 2 pitchers for me at a time, but pitchers reliably. They inflate sooooo slowly though.
5974308688_ebf85f0144_z.jpg

N. ramispina Gentang
5974309286_8d8b039b08_z.jpg

N. lowii Trusmandi. Just got this one. I've heard they're very slow growing, but I'm a patient guy ;p
5973756433_b6448d3f17_z.jpg

N. spec x aristo. Relatively new addition. One of my favorites!
5974308168_84196bf2ab_z.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 AM ----------

P. monteczumae
5973755203_082e6a1d69_z.jpg

P. "pirouette". Picked this one up at the last auction. Doing well!
5973753613_9c28339d9c_z.jpg

P. agnatha red x moranensis A. I picked this one up from our friends in Sebastpol. I'm not sure what to make of it. I can't wait till the new rack is ready and I can get this one under stronger light.
5974313848_eac5f021cf_z.jpg

My D. capensis "all red' is not very red actually. We'll get that fixed when the new rack is ready. The mass of Utric underneath it is bisquamata. This pot gets a bit... intense when they all flower.
5973753079_c509922cd4_z.jpg

D. x carburup. I really like these. I can't wait to get gemmae and make a whole mess of them.
5973752537_53f3592f85_z.jpg

Looking good and nice work with the Talangensis.

The weirdos

U. longifolia.
5973750957_2006c7e937_z.jpg

Also from this year's auction, G. violacea. This is an older photo. I was a bit concerned when the older leaves started to yellow. In the time since, the plant has erupted into a solid mass of little green leaves :)
5974311092_bd3dd491a6_z.jpg

A very recent addition: H. minor.
5974315484_2fbba522c4_z.jpg

So here's the story with this one. I made an order recently with a nursery I won't name to pick up that N. lowii and a few plants for a friend's terrarium, when I noticed that they had H. minor for sale for cheap... too cheap. I figured it was going to be a tiny ratty little seedling or something. Instead, I received a tangled mass of plant, like something that had just been popped out of a TC vial.

After a bit of gentle fussing, I separated out 4, 1" tall plants. Not a very auspicious start, but they've been doing quite well. All four have shown signs of new growth, despite being further from the lights than I'd like. We'll see how they do. I think the three in the net pot will be keepers. the fourth one will go up for trade once I'm assured its going to make it.

Very nice! I picked up the H. minor from that nursery as well. It was loosely potted and I feared it was banged around too much. I was surprised what I got had a mature pitcher on it! It has made two more since I got it, and I recently repotted it and saw it was sending out a big fat root as well. There was also a smaller plant with just juvenile pitchers, hopefully it makes it.

My policy with them is to get the plant(s), gently take them out of the wad of sphagnum they send them "potted" up in, spray them down heavily with Neem, then repot into something appropriate.

Speaking of which, what is your growing medium/watering strategy for those H. minor?

@unstuckintime I'm guessing you bought the larger size? I did pretty much the exact same thing you did but I gave their roots a bit of superthrive. I'm using the media mix suggested by D'amato in Savage Garden with a top-dressing of LFS. I'm doing overhead watering when the sphagnum starts to dry a little bit. All the plants in that tray get misted 2-3 times a day. Humidity never goes lower than 65%. Once the new rack is ready, they'll get a spot closer to light and the humdifier output.

Nice collection.....and I see someone must like "Plants vrs Zombies" ;)

That pot of D. capensis is going to be a mass of roots in no time.

Back