What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New little feller. Owch.

• Thread starter Lucanidae
  • Start date
Adopted this little dude today!
He's going to take a lot of work, but I'm fine with that.
His previous owners weren't providing a good environment for him. They had loud dogs, and lots of people in their house, and in general a noisy atmosphere. Poor guy is so skittish, and threat clicks a bit.
However, I upgraded him to a much larger enclosure, gave him a bigger hide, and let him run around a lot on the floor at my new place. He seems to like that so far, so here's hoping he'll shape up to be an upstanding citizen who doesn't try to chop off your fingers in his ball o quills.

225599_1901292887282_1090476359_31668701_7788772_n.jpg

226133_1901293327293_1090476359_31668702_7494337_n.jpg

Also, oh dear lord excuse my sweaty face. I live on the second floor with no AC, so it gets hothothot in here.

Is that an albino hedgehog?

Neat! I hope he becomes friendly and personable!

Is that an albino hedgehog?

Yeah, his skin is super pink and his eyes are super red. The previous caretakers claimed he was albino, but I wasn't sure till I saw him in person.

@Swords: Me too! After about an hour, he got pretty docile, and I was able to handle him without needing gloves (though he was still so nervous and would ball up at the slightest sound) , it takes him a long time to get comfortable enough to stop acting threatening.

OMGSOCUTE!! :awesome:

I think he will settle in nicely at your home. Sounds like a good place for a H.Hog.
If he has not lathered up on you, he is not doing too bad.

Tribble?

SONIC!!... oh wait, he's not blue :D

Still cute though. Be careful with light, albinos have sensitive eyes. Many human albinos wear glasses if I recall correctly. So when you take pictures with him make sure that the flash is off.

His facial expression in that second picture is adorable, reminds me of a Japanese emoticon with upturned eyes.

I know how being on the second floor with no AC can be.
You should try and grow some lowlanders.

N. gracilis nigrapurpurea
N. albomarginata

Both are easy lowlanders and can be slowly acclimated to HL conditions if needed.
They'll grow slower though, but it's been done before.
Capslock, who seems to have disappeared from this forum, grows a albomarginata in HL conditions.

Do take more pictures. :)

Last edited:
aww.. I always wanted an albino. I had a couple hedgehogs when I was in high school. One was a moody little butt nugget, but the other was super chill.

ahh! I've always wanted an albino hedgie! Congrats!

@D:
I actually have a lowland tank right next to the window, while my HL tank is on the cooler side of the room, I love myself my Albos. My raff and another nep didn't take the move so great though, so here's hoping they perk up.

I'll update in a couple weeks if he's had any progress. Looking at videos of socializing hedgies on youtube has helped me keep motivated.

What a cutie! Congrats on your new critter =)

Awesome and adorable! :laaa:

Ignore my voice, I'm making a weird voice and am feeling a bit ill, but look at the hedgehog!

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-DT2tF0BOTg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Can't see the video...

Weird, shows up on my comp, and I set my privacy settings on facebook accordingly...
I'll try hosting on YouTube.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Okay, let's see if that worked?

Looks like it's werkin', cool.

Cuteness! :laaa:

So cute! I'm glad he's doing better.

hehe little guy runs on bunch of energizers :)

Back