What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beneficial nematodes.

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Hi all,

I have received yesterday a shipment of beneficial nematodes (Steinernema feltiae). The plan is to use them as both a way to take care of a suspected root parasite in some plants and food for utrics.

The nematodes came in a container filled with vermiculite which serves as a carrier. One of the ways of delivering the nematodes to the plants involves placing the contents of the container into 2 gallons of water, let the nematodes wash out from the vermiculite and using the now nematode rich water on plants.

I am concerned about minerals that may leach out into the water from vermiculite raising its TDS count. Searching the topic showed that Vermiculite is used for some plants as a soil component, but obviously not for all.

Anybody has comments/suggestions etc?

Thank you!

People use vermiculite in the Carnivorous Plant mixes. I don't personally recommend it because it breaks down in constantly wet conditions. What little mineral content you add is easily flushed out with top watering - after your nematodes get established.

Awesome. Thank you for the reply!

Back