What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Offic Closures

Because of a massive loss in revenue, the USPS is studying many of it's posts office locations in rural areas, and areas with low traffic, considering them for closer.

First thing I thought when I saw the news story was "Oh no... how is this going to affect trading?"

To find out if your local post office is being considered for shutdown, follow the link below.

http://about.usps.com/news/electronic-press-kits/expandedaccess/study-list.htm#p=1

While they might remove some office buildings, they can't actually limit the availability of people shipping. The postal clause of the constitution specifically mandates "universal availability" of postal services. This might make it a little less convenient, but it shouldn't limit access to postal services.

While they might remove some office buildings, they can't actually limit the availability of people shipping. The postal clause of the constitution specifically mandates "universal availability" of postal services. This might make it a little less convenient, but it shouldn't limit access to postal services.

Good to know. Still I would check the list.

This has been a long time coming. It looks like its mostly small service stations. They want to replace them by contracting services to local businesses such as drug stores, etc., to save on costs, which they actually already do in many places. I see it as a great way to save money, and especially a better alternative than cutting a day like they have been discussing, if that is even their thinking. Why pay people to sit around at these small stations?

We've got at least 5 post offices within 15 minutes of us - that's a little crazy & unnecessary (& none of those even made the list). While I would probably gripe if our local PO was closed, something needs to change. ???

I don't think anybody will notice much difference. It seems the ones they are closing are the ones nobody goes to. As such, you probably don't go to it either.

whew! My local post office apparently isn't on the list.

I was gunna say...90% of the locations on the list are in towns I've never heard of until now. Unfortunate but no issues for me.

I now know that there is actually a town called Assawoman in VA.

They should also do away with Saturdays too. They've been talking about it.

It doesn't effect me but some small towns the next post office is 50-100 miles away
my nearest post office is private and the service is terrible,they don't know want there doing, the owner always complains that there losing money

Back