What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Decent Heat Mat?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So I received two types of Nepenthes seed from a good source so want to do better this time around. I am looking for a heating mat, local gardening store might have soem but was also looking on amazon.
I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-CK6...3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1312066510&sr=1-3
Would this one be ok? If not, what should I be looking for?

On a separate note, what is everyone's recommended media for starting nep seeds?

Well...The heat mat you posted seems ok, especiallt considering the stuff it comes with...my only concern is that I don't see any way to control the heat level...I could be wrong though.

As far as soil mixes go, I've experimented with a few, and so far I've gotten my best results from straight fiberous peat (the stuff that floats to the top when you soak it overnight)

The price is pretty good on the surface, but, those mats are known for not working well a second season. i have researched them on many boards and the concesus seems to be that even if stored properly between uses, they don't work nearly as well the second season. (this from vegetable/flower seed starters who go many months between seed starting seasons). For that reason I would stay away from used.
The mat itself has no controls..that dohicky is another $30 or so. What it will do is keep the temp roughly 10 degrees warmer than the surronding air.

Any way I can get away without a control for heat? Kinda on a budget unfortunately!

Any way I can get away without a control for heat? Kinda on a budget unfortunately!

A regular heating pad, for people, have controllers but are not waterproof like the hydros are. some folks have suggested reptile heat mats but they have to go under the glass of a tank and can't be removed to reuse elsewhere, but they come with controllers built in.

I know nepenthes seed want temps between 80-90 from what i've read. So if it does air temp plus 10, is there a drawback to just having them inside at 75 to split the difference

I have that exact heat mat I use for starting my bhut jokolia and peter pepper seeds. There is no heat control, but I have it in my house and like was mentioned earlier it raises the temp about 10-15 degrees( states up to 20 degrees in the brochure). Mine is in its third year and still going strong.

Back