What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamlin

Here's an idea (thanks Valerie and Lois):

You can write your message for Tamlin in an email to Valerie (see her profile for her email contact). She can print them out and take them to William when she visits him. Include your Terraforum handle, name and street address/PO box so Tamlin can write (via USPS) back to you. Again, he has no access to the Internet or a printer. He will write back to you.

Last edited:
Thanks, Not a Number, for passing that along!

And as he mentioned before, if you have done any plant sharing, a la the "Tamlin effect," do write about that experience, too.

Right now Tamlin really needs to known that he has made some kind of small difference to anyone.

I don't think I've talked to him on here, but I know the name. I'll definitely write to him and send him a signed print of one of my Sarracenia photos.

That's super
I'll get on it right away

Got it! Thanks!

More please. Anyone?

I would be more than happy to write to Tamlin. I'm going to the post office tomorrow to pick up some flat rate boxes to mail some plants to a few other people here (the Tamlin effect in action?), so I'll snag a few post cards too.

I've never interacted with Tamlin on this site, though I've read a number of his very informative, knowledgable, and good-natured posts and have learned great deals from him. While I was contemplating ordering my very first CP (a VFT from some no-name Amazon.com reseller), I browsed a number of websites looking for as much information as I could get on CP cultivation. It seemed like wherever I turned, Tamlin's name would pop up: references to his growing techniques, recounts of particularly inspiring interactions with him... and tales of his immense generosity. "Who the hell is this Tamlin guy and why is he always giving away all of his plants?" I asked myself. How young and naive I was.

It's about a year since then, and I can certainly say that now I understand exactly why Tamlin deserves a tip of the hat from everyone who's ever dabbled in the hobby of CP cultivation - obviously for his wealth of knowledge which he so graciously disseminates, but also for the "pay it forward" culture of giving, generosity, and willingness to share rare and special plants that permeates just about every corner of this community today, which he single-handedly fostered.

So, yes, Tamlin will get a postcard from me - and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Tamlin's contribution to this community has been immeasurable, if you ask me. Not only is he a talented grower and an excellent source of information and advice; he created a meme that will surely outlive all of our tenures here on TerraForums.

William just received a lovely postcard from Germany. Thank you, Juergen! He said your English was just fine!

To everyone -- this helps much more than you can imagine.

Wow, I'm not really aware of the entire situation but I certainly wish my best to someone that has had such a tremendous impact on this wonderful hobby.

I don't have anything to offer although I wish I did. But I do remember Tamlin helping me in the beginning with my questions, I think about Drosera if I remember correctly. Actually just checked, was something regarding seeds. Wow, it's hard to believe that one post could make such a difference and sometimes we forget about that but really all help is ALWAYS appreciated. I've read through other posts of yours and your experiences are always held in the highest regard Thanks so much Tamlin! You generosity, especially in terms of your knowledge, will never be forgotten! Keep goin' strong!

Tamlin is not in a situation where he can do anything with plants or seeds but do share them with the community - that's what he would want. A letter or postcard letting him know how he has affected your experience with CPs would do a lot to lift his spirits. When you're in a situation that looks hopeless knowing that your life can and does make a difference can help one to endure.

Juergen, if you are a member here and didn't include a return address be sure to PM or email it to Valerie or myself and we can forward it to William. That we he can write back to you.

So I received another letter from Tamlin today. He sends his best regards to all. He misses TerraForums and his plants.

I want to thank Juergen, TheFury and Flytraplady5 for writing to William. Lois I have a feeling is going to (re)discover the joys of letter writing. He says it was very heart warming to receive cards or letters from people whom he had little or no contact from before.

And a very special thank you to Cindy for sending William a copy of her book. Valerie had posted on Facebook that when she told William about the book he was all smiles. That day coincidentally happened to be my birthday and this news was the best birthday present I had. Tamlin has little to smile about these days.

Keep those cards and letters going.

Back