What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Einstein's fridge

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I was doing some research on refrigeration and came across articles on Einstein's fridge design. No moving parts. Just Heat on side and the other side gets cold. I was thinking if I could figure out how to build one safely maybe use it to cool a terrarium using the lights as a heat source for the cooling effect. Here is the main article I found.

Einstein's Refrigerator

I have just started reading into this. I know it take ammonia and not sure if I can get ahold of that in a pure enough form. Butane is easy to come by. like I said I have not read it all yet. Just thought others might be interested in it as well.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

It is noiseless and would require NO maintenance. Hmm this is interesting!!! The guy said he got ice when he first mixed things up but tinkered with it now it just gets pretty cold. I wonder if this could be used to make a new A/C that could be solar powered and cool a house with only the use of a fan! Even that could be solar powered!!! OMG I have to find plans now. This may be AWESOME! I need a new AC anyway. LMAO Time for Tim the Tool man to come out of me. Eeeer Eeeerh Eeerhh LMAO

Kerosene, gas or propane refrigerators can be found in RVs, sailboats etc. So why did this guy have to re-invent this? The US military was using kerosene refrigerators in WWII. When the war was over instead of dumping them in the ocean like they were doing my mom convinced the GIs to give them to the families in areas on Kaua'i (Hawaii) that didn't have electricity. Some are probably still being used today.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/refrigerator5.htm

If you could convert the heating element to solar that would be great.

I was thinking if I could figure out how to build one safely maybe use it to cool a terrarium using the lights as a heat source for the cooling effect. Here is the main article I found.

Einstein's Refrigerator

I have just started reading into this. I know it take ammonia and not sure if I can get ahold of that in a pure enough form. Butane is easy to come by. like I said I have not read it all yet. Just thought others might be interested in it as well.

The original Einstein Refrigerator is not a closed system with a cryogen circulating round and round forever. The Einstein Refrigerator uses consumables that must be constantly added to the system, such likle 1 llitre of pure alcohol and many litres of water per day for a household refrigerator. Nobody wanted a refrigerator that drinks like a fish, so that invention never had any success.

But the principle of the normal absorption refrigerator may work:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

The advantage is a closed system (other than the Einstein refrigerator) and you do not need a pump (other than compressor refrigerators), only a source of heat to make the system work.

I think the temperature difference may be too small for effective cooling a terrarium.
But I don't know for sure.

At least you will need much more heating energy you must put into the system than you will receive cooling capacity.

Back