What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small Nepenthes Species

As I've now got a terrarium, I'm looking for smaller Nepenthes species that won't outgrow it before I can get a greenhouse. Does anyone have any highland/intermediate neps besides Glabrata and Tobaica they'd recommend? Thanks!

I think Ventricosa is a nice little grower. I originally planted mine in a small terrarium, which it did wonderfully in, but I had to break the terrarium down. Also, the Highland variety of N. truncata is a bit of a slow grower.

Welll....I'm not sure if you want just small species, or also big species that grow really slow....but since the title is regarding neps that stay small, here is a list of small HL neps for ya.

N.aristolocloidies
N.argentii
N.gymnamphora
N.dubia
N.diatas

dubia might produce small pitchers, but it's a hellava viner...

dubia might produce small pitchers, but it's a hellava viner...

So is glabrata...and virtually all the small species....argentii is the obly little one that stays compact.

N. argentii is not the easier grower, so keep that in mind. It's a rewarding one to grow, though. Here's a list for you;

Highland
-argentii
-dubia
-glabrata
-jamban
-jaquelineae
-tenuis
-diatas
-talangensis
-alba

Lowland
-bellii
-campanulata
-copelandii
-and a speckled form on alata that has pitchers that are only 2" tall.

Last edited:
don't forget about N. tentaculata

N. Bellii is a LL species by the way;)

I actually have a diatas and tentaculata here I could part with.

Exactly the kind of responses i was looking for, thanks guys. Mass, I'm afraid living in Britain and having no fixed income means overseas trading is not an option for me ^^ nice of you to offer though!

That's one wrong resource then....

my ventricosa very quickly outgrew a 20 gal high terrarium
right now my tiny's are glabrata, diatas and argentii

N. argentii is not the easier grower, so keep that in mind. It's a rewarding one to grow, though. Here's a list for you;

Highland
-argentii
-dubia
-glabrata
-jamban
-jaquelineae
-tenuis
-diatas
-talangensis
-alba

Lowland
-bellii
-campanulata
-copelandii
-and a speckled form on alata that has pitchers that are only 2" tall.

Copelandii gets pretty big...at least mine is.....and jaquelineae and
talangensis can get some pretty big leafspans.

Exactly the kind of responses i was looking for, thanks guys. Mass, I'm afraid living in Britain and having no fixed income means overseas trading is not an option for me ^^ nice of you to offer though!

ah crap.. I didn't even look. My bad man, good luck with the hunt.

The copelandii at Meadowview is tiny, 3" tall pitchers and narrow leaf span. I do know someone who has one with 11" tall pitchers. I guess it all depends on the plant.

If you can get yourself a *young* N. lowii, you can bet it'll stay small for a while as it's a very slow grower.

Back