What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non CP related help?

Helllllo all! As non of you know because I'm still new here, it's been my dream for the last 13 of my 17 year old life to do one of several things... Either own a botanical garden/work for one, or own a nursery/work for one. The problem I have now is that I don't want to stay in Washington so I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I just would like to know what state I should go to or how difficult it would be to own one of those things. Thanks for your time :)

Well, Meadowview has an intern position that opens up over the summers a la this thread: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127037

and there's piles of nurseries between Central California and the top of Washington state, so I'm sure if you dug around a little bit you could email around and see if they also have any positions open (though if you've never worked at one, you might not find a *paying* position).

work for one before owning your own one only to discover what you love as a hobby you hate the stress of trying to make money from.....worked for a nursery in high school, owner offered to put me through the secondary education in greenhouse management or what ever its called with the intent that i buy the business off him when he was ready to retire(long time friend of the family)......i flat turned him down, in 4 years of doing that i figured out i like dealing with plants as a relief from stress, as a hobby.....as much as i like messing with and know about plants i have no interest in the headaches of trying to earn a living messing with them....

Since I'm now a senior i was going to get a part time job at a local nursery to see what it was like. I guess i shouldve put that its my long term goal to own one lol. But ill see how it goes working at one and getting more experience. I think the only reason I posted this was to see if anyone knew any good areas. Thanks for the advice :)

no worries.....just stating something i found out personally.....what i like doing for fun aint what i like doing for a living.....

WOW!
I started loving & growing plants at a very young age, but I think I was older than 4y.o.!
(In fact, I don't even remember being four years old, so I really can't say for sure!)
I always had an interest & appreciation for plants, animals, bugs & nature of various forms, but it's too far in the past to remember my exact age. Was always there as far as I know.

More specifically, like others, I was fortunate enough to work for a nursery at a very young age. (I started around 14-15 y.o. thru unusual circumstances, 1st hanging out & then working at a small nursery/plant shop... first buy doing grunt work & learning all I could. Worked there part time & weekends until my early twenties, eventually assistant managing. Best experience at that time of of my life.) My interest began seriously with Cp's (around 11 or 12) and my learning expanded to other plants & things as the years passed.

I don't know your situation, as one size doesn't fit all, but at this point you may want to consider raising plants yourself & selling them to local plant shops or other small shops. Even places that aren't plant stores will buy flowers, plants & CP's.
That alone will give you a feel for what it takes to do this for a living, and if you are good at it & have some luck, (persistent, disciplined & committed) you could get things going earlier than you may think. It really doesn't take a lot to get started, doing something you love. You don't have to sit around waiting at this point. You could be doing it (on a small scale) even now!
If you aren't, what are you waiting for?
(While we can always find excuses for what stops us from doing something, the person who really wants to do something, does it! They DON'T sit around wishing, they don't just focus on the on problems & let them turn into excuses. They see problems, but then find ways DO what they are wanting! You don't have to plan out every aspect of this before you begin.
Go! DO! Now!

I think the only reason I posted this was to see if anyone knew any good areas.
From what I see, the "Best Area" to do it, is where-ever YOU are!
It is not about some "right", special place to do it in, that will guarantee good results.
It is ALL about YOU!

Good luck!
:water:

Well thank you :) giving me alot of things to think about! A few months ago i had decided that since i loved plants so much i should start growing them and selling them and so far ive spent all my time getting all the materials i need lol. I finally took the initiative to go out and but shelves, lights. trays, rain barrel, and anything that i could use to make it easier and that i would need to grow anything from CPs to trees. Now the only thing i have to do is wait for the LFS and drosera seeds to come in... But once again thank you for opening my mind up more :)

Back