What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.8 Earthquake

• Thread starter GregNY
  • Start date
...who had an earthquake over a thousand times more powerful, with a reactor forty years old and without any real harm in the end... Heck, a hydroelectric dam broke there at the same time and killed about five hundred people. Ever hear about that?

Tell that to the Japanese

If they evacuated all the buildings in downtown DC, don't you think that a nuclear power plant would also be subject to worried bureaucrats?

I deeply apologize for having caused this earthquake.
Earlier today I was at lunch and discussing hurricane preperations with facilities maintance due to the threat of Irene hitting us.
I was trying to explain how realatively secure the building would be from damage and had causally said
"It's not like we have to get ready for an earthquake."
Less than a half hour later the quake occured.
Again,I apologize for any inconvience that i may have caused.
BTW..the reactors at north anna were just taken off for a precaution. i checked, and hope the sources are right.
Well...well, now we know why it hit ;) (joking...don't take offense-anyone)

I just barely heard about the quake, from the forum...It's amazing how some info gets to the forum faster than it gets to the news. I didn't see it on the news the other night, which I DID watch. Hope everyone is ok, and the damage wasn't too severe.

I won't be cracking any jokes about us having a quake here because we are supposedly like 100yrs or more over-due for a major quake. The plates are supposedly under a ton of pressure here and really shouldn't have been able to have held this long, which of course means that the longer we go without a quake, the worse it will end up being when it hits. Anyways, hope everybody is ok.

I felt it out here in Ohio! The liquid in the media bottles in my lab was sloshing back and forth and the whole building was gently swaying. Overall, it felt the same as the 4.something I felt when in San Diego a couple years ago for a conference.

Read that lots of small quakes were going on all over around the same time!
Means only one thing! :-O

Glad everyone is ok. Did some research and the experts are saying the extent of the waves was due to how hard the bedrock is on the east coast... the harder the bedrock, the greater the distance seismic waves can travel.

Back