What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire Man's Plants

• Thread starter Wire Man
  • Start date
Are those the D. roseana gemmae I sent you? They are doing well!

yup, they've taken off. I need to post a pic of the one that's using its roots as stilts. I've never seen an arial sundew before.

They look great, dude!

Thanks! I'm going to have a lot of plants up for trade and giveaways soon. Some of those purp seedlings will probably be going to a few lucky members this Spring. They're growing very quickly!

Update!

N. x ventrata put out a lot of pitchers recently. Hopefully it continues to grow after I have to move it back home for break.

Glowing by Wire Man, on Flickr

Nepenthes burkei opened its first pitcher under my care! Well, it opened one previously, but it looks like a Picasso painting because of the shipping trauma.

Open by Wire Man, on Flickr

And now for some purps.

Purps by Wire Man, on Flickr

Seedlings by Wire Man, on Flickr

Unknown purp hybrid.

Hybrid by Wire Man, on Flickr

I need to retake the rest of the Sphagnum pics since they came out blurry, but here's a sample of the Newport News Sphag that I collected.

Newport News Sphagnum by Wire Man, on Flickr

The 10 gallon terrarium.

Terrarium by Wire Man, on Flickr

More updates.

D. roseanna from above.

QC043638 by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. burmannii is gaining in size more.

QC043639 by Wire Man, on Flickr

Just for fun, N. burkei with a highly deformed "Picasso" trap from it's 2 week wait in the post office and a normal, beautifully formed pitcher.

Normal and Not by Wire Man, on Flickr

The first pitcher in my care

Bulbous by Wire Man, on Flickr\

The description isn't kidding when it says N. burkei has a bulbous bottom. There's no doubt this is burkei and not ventricosa.

Luminous by Wire Man, on Flickr

And some Sphagnum I hand collected and have in culture.
Sphagnum "Newport News #1" No idea what species it is yet.

Sphagnum "Newport News #1" by Wire Man, on Flickr

Sphagnum "Newport News #2"

Sphagnum "Newport News #2" by Wire Man, on Flickr

Sphagnum compactum

Sphagnum compactum by Wire Man, on Flickr

A very fluffy, soft Sphagnum species.

Sphagnum by Wire Man, on Flickr

Sphagnum molle

Sphagnum molle by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. roseanna

Pygmies by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. burkei

Peeling Open by Wire Man, on Flickr

Looking good man! Keep it up!!! Good growing!

Nice pygmies!!

Are you sure those are D. burmannii? They looks a lot like D. capensis "alba".

I hope they're not D. capensis "alba". I've moved them closer to the lights to see if they show more burmannii like leaves.

I fed Nepenthes some coffee today. Hopefully I'll see a size jump soon. The N. maxima "Lake Poso" is making noticeable large and more colorful leaves. A new trap should be opening soon.

Ooh I love the mosses! I'm jealous of your burkei too... I wish it did something for me. I got one from BE that did nothing and now the one from AW is doing close to nothing too :lol:

Yay, another moss fan! For some reason I can find the stuff very easily in the field. S. molle isn't nearly as colorful here as it is in higher lighting. Hopefully I'll have enough to trade around soon.

I've noticed N. burkei likes it a bit warmer than most would think. It's not that picky of a plant from my short experience with it. I'm hoping to work the burkei into mature pitchers by next year.

Finally, D. capillaris "long arm" has germinated! Something else did something, but I forgot what it was.....

I think my killifish spawned today. So not ready for this...

Very nice pics. Loving the sphagnum compactum:).

S. compactum looks amazing in a colony! Some of it might have adhered to the purp seedlings, so keep an eye out for it.

Mike was generous enough to leave me so very nice seeling Neps as a gift this week. Soon I will be bringing home a seed grown N. lavicola and n. naga. Super psyched about this! Mike, you are my hero!

Here are the new additions;

Nepenthes naga seedling

Nepenthes naga by Wire Man, on Flickr

Nepenthes lavicola

Nepenthes lavicola by Wire Man, on Flickr

New N. maxima pitcher showing nice color.

N. maxima by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. maxima by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. maxima "Lake Poso" by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. venusta

Drosera venusta by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. spatulata

Drosera spatulata by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. aliciae

D. aliciae by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. flava var. flava open pollinated seedling.

Sarracenia seedling by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. capillaris "long arm" finally germinated!

Flesh Eating Sprout by Wire Man, on Flickr

Spectacular plants dude. Man!! I love those varieties of sphagnum. I would love to get some of those smaller varieties of sphagnum. Unfortunate that live mosses aren't really sold anywhere....atleast with IDs.

I'm on the same page with vraev, I love the different varieties' of live sphagnum moss! Your seedlings are very healthy looking!

We'll have the Sphagnum available in the Meadowview catalog as plugs soon, hopefully this spring. We need to get a few more IDed before we can sell it as species specific moss.

I can't wait for the N. naga to put on some size, but it looks like I'll have to. I'm hoping the lavicola will adjust to non-ultra highland conditions.

N. naga.. very nice. Not many of these out there from what I hear.

It was only discovered 2 years ago, and this seedling is about a year old. Hopefully it'll find its way into the hobby. From the photos I've seen it's going to be spectacular. Mike certainly added some nice specimens to the collection.

Back