What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire Man's Plants

• Thread starter Wire Man
  • Start date
very nice !!

nice plants and pics wire man,are the venusta a similar size to spathulata if so they look hard to tell the difference

The D. spatulata are slightly larger than the venustas. One venusta kept uprooting itself and doesn't look too good. I'm not too worried, since they're making offshoots.

Love the purps!

You should see how big they're getting. Some are definitely ready to go outside in a month or two.

Nice pics! The purps are looking very colorful . . .

Loving the adelae tank. I want to do something like that so bad.

Sundew terrariums aren't that difficult. I find that it's the easiest way to grow a lot of them without taking up that much space. Aquabid.com has the metal frame tanks pop up every once in a while. The key is the plexiglass lid. It keeps humidity in, allows for ventilation, and takes the heat of the CFL. The only downside is grooming it and pulling out extra plants.....

I'll have some updates posted soon. N. lavicola's latest pitcher is really coloring up.

Update!

These are some new pickups from the Richmond Orchid Show. First up is my girlfriend's pickup, Cochleanthes "Amazing"

Cochleanthes "Amazing" by Wire Man, on Flickr

My pickups. Sophronitis cernua, basically a miniature Cattleya with orange-red flowers.

Soph. cernua by Wire Man, on Flickr

And Psygmorchis pumillis, really tiny.

Psygmorchis pumillis by Wire Man, on Flickr

And now for the carnivores. N. lavicola has colored up AMAZINGLY!

N. lavicola by Wire Man, on Flickr

Better photo of D. aliciea

D. aliciea by Wire Man, on Flickr

And a size comparison of the rosetted dews. From left to right, D. aliciea, spatulata, venusta.

Drosera aliciea, spatulata, and venusta by Wire Man, on Flickr

The color on your N. lavicola is wonderful. 'Looking forward to seeing it mature.

Yeah excellent leaf color on that one!

I can't wait for it to mature either. Luckily, it should crank out some adult traps this year. It's gaining in size really quickly and is a relatively small plant at adult size. CFLs definitely work wonders with color and size.

The funny thing is that N. lavicola is an ultra highlander, but I'm growing it as an intermediate in the warmest room in the house..... This thing might be as hardy as N. ventricosa!

Omg burkei! :boogie:

And very nice lavicola, love the splotchiness. :)

N. lavicola does not disappoint. Do you have one of the entire plant by any chance?

I have a full plant photo of N. lavicola on page 13. It's still fairly small, but yet it looks like that. The splothes are either going to become more pronounced or diluted as it matures. The color should darken a lot as it makes larger ones, too.
The N. burkei pitcher I last photographed just opened yesterday, but I'll wait for it to color up before posting it again. Same for N. maxima "Lake Poso".

3 dews are currently beginning to flower! Also got N. glabrata, burbidgaea, and some Sarracenia hybrids from Mason today, so yay!

My Flickr is at its monthly limit, so I can't upload photos for a while unless I get a pro account.......

The Paph opened a little while ago.

Q3125604 by Wire Man, on Flickr

Q3125605 by Wire Man, on Flickr

Q3125606 by Wire Man, on Flickr

Spring has surely arrived back at home. These photos are about a month old now....

D. muscipula by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. rotundifolia

D. rotundifolia by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. rotundifolia by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. purpurea showing signs of flowers.

S. purpurea Flower Buds by Wire Man, on Flickr

Eriocaulon starting to grow again.

Eriocaulon decangulare by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. leucophylla flower

S. leucophylla Flower Bud by Wire Man, on Flickr

High bush blueberry is waking up.

Blueberry Buds by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. flava var. rugelii is working on a few flowers

S. flava var. rugelii Flower Bud by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. flava var. rugelii by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. leucophylla Flower Bud by Wire Man, on Flickr

Blueberry flower buds

Blueberry buds by Wire Man, on Flickr

And now the tropicals!

N. lavicola threatening to crush N. naga.

N. burkei

N. burkei by Wire Man, on Flickr

Newest pitcher on N. maxima "Lake Poso"

N. maxima "Lake Poso" by Wire Man, on Flickr

Older pitcher

N. maxima "Lake Poso" by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. burkei glamour shots.

D. capillaris "Long Arm"

D. capillaris "Long Arm" by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. lavicola

And I couldn't pass on this Paph. Hopefully the cross with the Raisin Pie hybrid takes.

Paph. Memorium Barbara Duncan by Wire Man, on Flickr

Beautiful plants, I like the orchid and dew pics :D

Cute Burkei. I'd love to have one of those. I hate the limits of free accounts on flickr. If you can ever do a pro it is so worth it and loads of fun.

Back