What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wire Man's Plants

• Thread starter Wire Man
  • Start date
I think Nepenthes need more light once they vine, since they are growing towards the sun. I'm probably going to cut the vine soon, since it's starting to burn on the lights.

I should have included the new mask in the video I recorded today.....
I know what you're talking about, and the placement of the bog garden in front of the Japanese maple was intentional. I took color theory class in college, despite being unable to see green. The dark red contrasts with the chartreuse of the S. flavas, making the edges optically vibrate, which makes the bright yellow-green really scream. The bog garden is essentially a live color theory experiment.

Another video update, taken more than a month after the previous one.

And some photos!

It's so fat! Developing N. lavicola pitcher.

N. lavicola by Wire Man, on Flickr

The first decent pitcher on the seed grown N. ventricosa. The color looks promising.

N. ventricosa by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. 'Caladium'

N. 'Caladium' by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. sibuyanensis, dwarfed by N. 'Caladium'

N. sibuyanensis by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. lavicola, ready to pop.

This one has a bit better placement than the last one.

So stripy!

U. sandersonii 'Blue' finally flowered.

U. sandersonii 'Blue' by Wire Man, on Flickr

The seedlings of S. 'Spatter Patterns' x 'Lamentations' are really pale so far.

S. 'Spatter Patterns' x 'Lamentations' by Wire Man, on Flickr

You take such a nice photos!

Thanks! Years of schooling and a hefty camera will do that.

I finally got some new photo editing software, so now I can actually shoot in RAW! N. boschiana just opened a new pitcher, too.

N. boschiana

N. boschiana by Wire Man, on Flickr

H. minor

H. minor by Wire Man, on Flickr

N. lavicola, over 2" tall pitcher!

Just got back from the first CCPS meeting. There are a lot of new plants to photograph......

What photo editing software did you get? I have Lightroom, I love it!! I wish I had gotten it sooner....

Great pics!!

What photo editing software did you get? I have Lightroom, I love it!! I wish I had gotten it sooner....

Great pics!!

Beautiful lavicola, Graham! Who did you get it from?
I too use Lightroom, and find it to be a superb photo editing tool. Truly a five star utility.

I'm using Photoshop Elements 11. Not as powerful as Creative Suites, but for someone on a tight budget I'll take it. I plan on upgrading to Lightroom and/or CS6 once I have the resources. CS3 is too old to read the RAW files from my E-5, even with plugins.

I got the N. lavicola from mksmith, who got it from Mikulas, who got it from Bob Harrell, who got the seeds from the guy who operates Nepenthes Around The House. Quite a daisy chain. The latest pither that it opened blows everything else in my collection out of the water in terms of color! And it's a solid 2.75" tall! I'll get pics of it once I upload my photos from the CCPS meeting.

Adobe has a free tool for converting RAW files to a more generic format that various CS versions can read: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5486

I tried that. The Olympus E-5 wasn't included. They have expansions for CS5 for my camera, but they stopped making expansions for CS3 years before my camera model debuted. PSE will suffice for now. The only think it doesn't have that I would like it to is sharpening filters.

My haul from the first CCPS meeting. I did not pay anything for any of this! Included are D. androsacea, D. omissa, D. pulchella, D. roseanna, D. nitidula x pygmaea, N. truncata, N. 'Lady Pauline', N. 'Redneck', N. mirabilis x (Viking x rafflesiana), N. thorellii (d) x (macfarlanei x sibuyanensis), N. thorellii (d) x (spectabilis x veitchii), S. alata 'Night' x 'Red' sib., S. flava var. ornata, S. flava var. rubricorpora, S. rubra Brunswick Co. NC, S. psittacina 'Green', and U. nephrophylla. I'm probably forgetting some.

CCPS Haul by Wire Man, on Flickr

Here's the N. truncate, seed grown.

N. truncata by Wire Man, on Flickr

And the N. attenboroughii seeds!

N. attenboroughii Seeds by Wire Man, on Flickr

And a brand new, nearly 3 inch tall N. lavicola

Nice! What are the cuttings in the first picture?

The cuttings are N. 'Lady Pauline', N. 'Redneck', N. mirabilis x (Viking x rafflesiana), N. thorellii (d) x (macfarlanei x sibuyanensis), and N. thorellii (d) x (spectabilis x veitchii). The N. thorellii (d) is actually N. bokorensis, which is still a nice plant.

Those are some beautiful plants Wireman. Lucky you for getting some attenboroughii seed. :)

I'm very excited about those seeds!
I had some squirrel issues this morning, so I'm making some chicken wire cages with steel spikes for extra deterrence. Let's see who gets the last laugh!

Another small update.

S. flava var. ornata, S. alata 'Night' x 'Red' sib, S. rubra Brunswick Co, NC, S. flava var. rubricorpora

Sarracenia Babies by Wire Man, on Flickr

Tons of repotted flytraps.

Baby Flytraps by Wire Man, on Flickr

S. psitt Green baby

S. psittacina Green by Wire Man, on Flickr

D. cistiflora 'Red' has some color!

D. cistiflora by Wire Man, on Flickr

Go home, Nepenthes boschiana, you're drunk.

N. boschiana by Wire Man, on Flickr

And some more photos of the gorgeous N. lavicola pitcher.

Someones in love with their lavicola :lol:. That thing looks great! :)

Have you seen that peristome? How could you not love that thing? It's seriously the perfect species; dark color, striped peristome, compact grower, and very tolerant.

Back