What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Gnats and LFS

The gnats are back =/

I've searched what I could and I've read that fungus gnats don't like fresh live sphagnum as a breeding ground, but what about dried LFS?

I'd gotten rid of an infestation about a month ago by repotting all of my utrics from peat:sand to dried/live LFS. My trays have Mosquito Dunks in them but my utrics don't actually sit in water, they're misted several times a day. I've also top-dressed any pots with a peat-based mix. There are only a few gnats at the moment but I want to nip this in the bud.

So do fungus gnats breed in moist dead LFS?

Unfortuantely form what I've read and experienced they :love: dried LFS once it's wet. I don't know much about utrics..but for pings and dews I top dress with a thin layer of sand, not peat, and that helps a lot.
I got into cps because someone recommended dews and pings to help control the fungus gnats among my orchids.

ugh, it's as i feared then. And yeah, any pots with peat-based mixes are top-dressed with something non-organic like turface, gravel, or sand. I hope live LFS really is inhospitable to these freakin gnats.

While my adult pings and dews sure like them as treats, I've got seedlings to worry about. I also just hate having fungus gnats in my room.

I used a capensis as a sort of feather duster to clean up the fungus gnats among some purp seedlings. It works pretty well.

Back