What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnvirorous plant Art

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Okay, so there might be a thread like this, or perhaps just a series of personalized threads.

If there is one I can't find it! So I'll start one. I'd like this thread to be a place where you can share any artwork you've made involving carnivorous plants. I know there are many people that have done so on their own time or in their own threads. But let's start a communal basin of CP artwork!

I'll start off with a modest and non-sensical doodle that I did in my History of World Art class. Bored much?

:p

Nepenthes.jpg

I'll have a lot to post soon. I'm working on some collages with dried pitchers, a ceramic purp sculpture, and wire S. flava var. ornata sculpture, and some paintings.

On a related note, I'm doing my Modern Art History paper on Marianne North!

In 2004 I wanted to do a series of resin model kits of Nepenthes pitchers but I only did Nepenthes inermis, I sold a dozen but it wasn't enough to justify doing more kits.

Here's the "promo glossy" shot of the N. inermis kit and box:

nepenthesinermis.jpg

back in the day...when i used to be good at drawing....
WP_000200.jpg

those ARE nice....makes me kinda jealous...
need to pick up that pencil again.... :p

Okay here's some of my recent CP artwork.

Pitcher Plant Shadowbox#1 by Wire Man, on Flickr
Pitchers of: S. psittacina, oreophila, minor, alabamensis ssp. wherryi, my unknown hybrid, and the flowers of S. rubra.

Pitcher Plant SHadowbox#2 by Wire Man, on Flickr
Pitchers of: N. alata, reinwardtiana, veitchii, and x ventrata.

Pitcher Plant Shadowbox#3 by Wire Man, on Flickr
Pitchers of: S. rosea, "Candy Striper", "Horizon", flava var. rugelii, minor ssp. okefenokeensis, flava var. ornata, purpurea x2, and "Red Rocket."

Pitcher Plant SHadowbox#4 by Wire Man, on Flickr
Pitchers of: N hirsuta, truncata, fusca x3, ventricosa, albomarginata, sanguinea, ampullaria, copelandii, and rafflesiana.

Last edited:
Nice! That's an interesting idea. I've always wondered what I should do with old pitchers. I really like the first one.

Oohhh interesting. :) I like that you use dried leaves from the plants. Kinda like recycling. XD

Thanks! I thought it was tragic how the leaves we cut off when shipping plants were thrown away, so I saved the nicer ones. I think the first one is my favorite too, the flowers really pulled it together.

I have a few sculptures nearing completion.

that...is....AWESOME!

That is pretty freaking sweet, such an interesting medium - wire. I love the bee and especially the flower.

That's amazing! At first I thought it was lights on the sculpture, like a Christmas decoration. :awesome:

Thanks! Well, I do occasionally use lights in some of my work. The flower took some time to do with all of those complex shapes.

Thats incredible! Living up to your name I see :lol:

Here are a couple of my latest little doodles that I busted out in class. It wont compare to some of the better art on here but it's my contribution. :-D

scan0002.jpg

"Nepenthes Storm"

scan0003.jpg

"The Addiction"

@Wireman: That sculpture is fantastic!

I do occasionally do some pencil drawings when the urge strikes. My latest attempt was a N. klossii pitcher from Carnivorous Plants And Their Habitats:

002.jpg

Back