What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook Revolt?

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date
Here, here . . . Who the hell needs to hear about someone's latest bowel movement or the latest asinine thing to pop into their heads?

Those who are watching, recording, and taking note. (Puts tin foil hat on). LOL.

Change the language to UK english and it reverts back to normal :D

GOOGLE+ CHAT = AWESOME!!

BB, the everlasting optimist :jester:

Seriously... I quit facebook maybe 3ish years ago and I don't regret it. It just *draws* you into sharing too many personal details with whatever scumbag is tilling the bottom of the internet for new botnet targets or identity-theft candidates. Facebook: like making youtube videos and having children - just cuz you can, doesn't mean you should! Information overload from reading every last news ticker will just turn you into a burnout and we'll all turn into a pile of self-licking-popsicle cynical curmudgeons. I can't have a decent conversation with people any more because all they do is quote the latest headlines at me...

My son roped me into FB 2.6 years ago. I thought it was just for teenagers. Within a week of being there a person from my elementary school "friended" me and invited me to join our high school graduating class group, where I re-connected with a bunch of old friends and acquaintances, as well as made some new friends.

All detractors aside, like "facebook limbo" or "purgatory" and other human garbola, I've been enjoying seeing different sides of people I know from work, church, or the discussion forums, thngs I wouldn't have perceived otherwise.

I've also been enjoying the opportunity to play Scrabble, daily, and reluctabtly the knockoff (Words with Friends).

Yeah, it has a few cons, but the pros far outweigh those cons.

My son roped me into FB 2.6 years ago. I thought it was just for teenagers. Within a week of being there a person from my elementary school "friended" me and invited me to join our high school graduating class group, where I re-connected with a bunch of old friends and acquaintances, as well as made some new friends.

All detractors aside, like "facebook limbo" or "purgatory" and other human garbola, I've been enjoying seeing different sides of people I know from work, church, or the discussion forums, thngs I wouldn't have perceived otherwise.

I've also been enjoying the opportunity to play Scrabble, daily, and reluctabtly the knockoff (Words with Friends).

I can see that too, but also being 'forced' into friending your boss, or that one coworker you just don't want to see outside of the 9-to-5. Of course, I'm biased because I keep my private life very private and completely separate from work and all... but my coworkers keep telling me they made an account *for* me so they could friend me :lol:. So afaik, I don't have an account but if you see me on Facebook, it may not actually be me hahaha.

People still use facebook? Isn't this fad over with yet?

My facebook hasn't changed at all?! ??? I don't understand what all the fuss is about :s

Jim,
I suspect that you speak for the vast majority of people who have 'experienced FB. I've never joined because I really don't need another time-suck and the bi-monthly re-arrangement of their privacy controls (followed quickly by their spin-doctors trying to make it seem that their legions really are not overly exposed to scammers) left me feeling a bit exposed.

However, I suspect that for someone who has reasonable self control, FB would be extremely useful. When my wife & I start to travel extensively, I plan to join to share experiences w/ friends.

As Thez noted, there are other concerns for those within corporate confines. Were I still there, I wouldn't consider FB ... :0o:

CNBC did a slideshow of user-generated protests - some are quite humorous ... :-D

Last edited:
Jim,
I suspect that you speak for the vast majority of people who have 'experienced FB. I've never joined because I really don't need another time-suck and the bi-monthly re-arrangement of their privacy controls (followed quickly by their spin-doctors trying to make it seem that their legions really are not overly exposed to scammers) left me feeling a bit exposed.

However, I suspect that for someone who has reasonable self control, FB would be extremely useful. When my wife & I start to travel extensively, I plan to join to share experiences w/ friends.

As Thez noted, there are other concerns for those within corporate confines. Were I still there, I wouldn't consider FB ... :0o:

CNBC did a slideshow of user-generated protests - some are quite humorous ... :-D

Most of those images have shown up on Facebook, by the disgruntled users. I'm probably in the minority, but I actually like the changes that were made. I just had to figure out what they were and how to use them.

Self-control is definitely a must. I can't stand the advertizing but it's unavoidable in our society, no matter where we go or what we use.

BTW, I'm limiting myself to FB. I don't use Twitter or Myspace and although people have been adding me to Google+ and Linkedin not doing much of anything with them. There's way too much to be involved with!

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

I can see that too, but also being 'forced' into friending your boss, or that one coworker you just don't want to see outside of the 9-to-5. Of course, I'm biased because I keep my private life very private and completely separate from work and all... but my coworkers keep telling me they made an account *for* me so they could friend me :lol:. So afaik, I don't have an account but if you see me on Facebook, it may not actually be me hahaha.

I have one supervisor whose policy is to NOT be "friends" with anybody on Facebook... except for one co-worker who truly is his friend. He took another position in the company and what was my 2nd shift supervisor is now my direct supervisor as well. We have 3 Scrabble games going on FB. Ya definitely want to be careful about whatcha say on FB....

facebook+changes.png

That's about right! And the latest is that Facebook plans to charge for usage, which I believe is just a false rumor.

Those rumors resurface every few months...

Thank (insert your invisible man in the sky's name here) I'm not on Facebook. I only do Twitter and I'm trying out Diaspora. So far it's awesome.

That's about right! And the latest is that Facebook plans to charge for usage, which I believe is just a false rumor.
Hard to see how they can start charging when this is on their sign-in page:
It's free and always will be.

What in the world is 'diaspora', side from the historical reference?

just kidding....i gave the historical reference. :oops:

Had to chime in.

1316693866.jpg

Man I wouldn't have gotten involved with FB if my kid hadn't have suggested as something I might enjoy. And then he wouldn't be my friend, as it were, initially. And where did this "Word With Friends" come from? What was wrong with straight up Scrabble that somebody had to come up with a knockoff?

My friend posted a picture of something along the lines of what pet said:
166965_10150804311735284_714690283_20186376_1720109865_n.jpg

...trolololol

Back