What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Packing and mailing plants

After receiving several plants from the generosity of TF members, I think someone with more experience mailing plants should write a protocol on this subject. Please do not think that I am criticising TF members; USPS is partly to blame too. I am new here and I have not mailed out any plants myself, as I am just building up my collection.

Looking from the receiving end, this is what I can think of. The main problem is in the packing:

1) Make sure the contents are fully cushioned from being thrown about like a rag doll in the empty space of the box using crumpled newspapers, paper towel, foam peanuts, LFS, etc.

2) Make sure there is enough moisture to sustain plants for the duration of the journey.

3) Seal plants in ziplocks and if possible take it out of the pot with just the rootball and wrap it with a damp paper towel and place it in a ziplock. This will save on postage without the extra weight of the pot and extra wet soil. Ziplocks also prevent moisture loss during transportation.

4) If necessary, mail it in an insulated box to protect either from the cold or heat.

I am sure other members have some more to add to mine. Thanks to you all for your generosity, and what a great forum. Have a good weekend.

I always clean the roots off as best I can, put them in a paper towel with some strips of LFS, and roll a sort of "cigarette" around the roots. I emulate the packing technique of a certain online nursery that ships tons of sundews packaged in such a manner. Then I soak the paper towel until very damp but not dripping, stick it in a ziplock bag, and then put it in a flat rate box. I always stuff the box with bubble wrap so the plant doesn't shift around in there. So far all the plants I've shipped have arrived in fine condition, save for a few VFTs that I was dumb enough to ship via UPS during a deep freeze in February...

My recent U. longifolia giveaway (how is that plant doing for you, btw? ;)) posed a bit more of a challenge because you can't really clean the soil away from a clump of Utrics. It made for an unwieldy "plant cigarette."

Next time I mail a plant I'll see if I can remember to snap some pics of the packing process and post it up.

It arrived in great shape. You did good.
Thanks

i was planning on doing a tutorial for this as well. with pictures...problem for me is---i have no plants to ship out, and each species of CP should be packed differently...

Seems to me this has been covered before. Try a search.

Back