What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light fixture issue for helis

Heli

villosaholic
I am setting up a 20 gallon terrarium for heliamphora and I am having trouble finding the correct type of lighting for sale online, I will have 4 bulbs that should be two feet in length. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could direct me to a link for a good candidate because I am having great trouble finding any good ones for sale

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses but I personally like to shop with HTG Supply because they're cheap and fast but I am close to their PA location.

Here is a link to their 4 bulb 2 foot T5 High Output fixture they sell with your choice of bulbs for $69.99 plus shipping.
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-2-Foot-4-Lamp-High-Output-T5.asp

Keep in mind T5 High Outputs are HOT so you'll need a way to cool your plants off, cooped up in a 20 gallon fish tank they're gonna fry! LOL

yea thats why im looking for t8s

You could load that T5HO fixture up with fans and heatsinks to keep temperature under control, but that just adds $$$ to the bill, and you gotta consider whether it's worth it. Because of their efficiency, you could probably get away with having two T5HO bulbs rather than 4--they put out about as much light as two of their T8 brethren (very roughly, a 54W, 4' T5HO bulb puts out about 5,000 lumens while a 32W, 4' T8 bulb puts out around 2,800; the same calculus applies to 2' bulbs as well but I found lumen ratings for 4' bulbs on Google first!). Not to mention the fact that more of the lumens produced by a T5HO bulb are useable due to the nature of the bulb - narrower tube --> smaller light source --> reflectors can more efficiently redirect light towards your plants. Browsing the site that swords posted, I see they sell a two-pack of 2' long, 1xT5HO fixtures for about $48. Not bad. Two T5HOs will probably still run a bit hotter than four T8s, but the difference would be manageable if you ask me. That all assumes you're satisfied with the amount of light you could get with 4x T8 bulbs such that you'd be willing to consider fewer T5HOs to achieve the same light levels.

I sound like I'm evangelizing T5s. Well, I sort of am, but I don't use them and I don't have plans to. T8s suit my needs, but then again, in an un-airconditioned apartment in NYC, temperatures become a REAL concern in July and August, and I need to build my setup around those constraints... meaning that lower-heat light fixtures are an absolute must. But, sure, in an ideal world, we would all be using T5s :)

With regard to the T8s specifically, I never had great luck looking for 2' long T8 tubes, but this could be an alternative. It's basically a 4' T8 bulb folded in half. Grab two of these and the appropriate fixture and you'll accomplish what you need. Thing is, I find 4' fixtures much more cost effective for some reason... but you have obvious constraints that put 4' bulbs out of the running.

Last edited:
If you've got to use a two foot fixture....

These are a lot of bang for the buck.... less then 15USD each with bulbs locally (Mejiers superstores)

normal_loashop.jpg

I've used them before, even shipped one to a cp'er in canada...

I replaced the included bulbs with a mix of GE Chroma 50 T8 and GE Plant bulb T8 (both from lowes) for very respectable performance

Last edited:
ok thanks. Do you have a link for the shoplight and bulbs AV? I will be ordering online.

geeze heli what a rip, that same light is 1/3rd the cost at meijers..... dont order from them, sheesh

could I use cfls? if so how much wattage, lumans, k etc. should it have?

any help guys?

I don't know specifically about heli's, but cfl's in general DON'T put out enough lumens for horticulture... sorry :-(

I've grown quite a few Drosera and a couple "easy" Neps under CFLs just fine, but that being said I wouldn't know if they would cut it for Helis.

well I would be using them with regular lights, do you have a link for where i can order?

For CFLs? I've only just used them in clamp light "fixtures". Can be found at pretty much any home improvement store, same goes for the bulbs. You would want something marked as daylight and just get the highest wattage (generally the biggest) bulb possible.

Again not sure how effective they will be for Helis.

CFL will work but like any normal output fluorescent bulb they need to be close to the plants. They make high wattage CFL fixtures for the horticultural trade or you could go to a home improvement store and get one of those 6500k 65w or 100w CFL outdoor security fixtures. You could also use a bunch of smaller CFL bulbs (35-40w) in clip on reflectors or some of those CFL spot lights, which would be around 100-150w incandescent equivalent each.

By the time you spend for all of that though you probably will come out cheaper just buying a decent 4tube T8 fixture.
Personally though I don't think a 4tube T8 fixture will be enough light. You will need to pretty much put it right on top of the plants.. normal output straight fluorescent tubes are just not that bright...

the issue is that I have to order and I cant find a any good two foot fixtures and t8s that wont cost a fortune to ship

If you have enough space for 4' fixtures I would use them instead. Even if they overhang the sides of the terrarium a bit. They are cheaper and easier to find and the light at the ends of the fixtures drops off alot so you can't put plants right out to the edge anyway.

OH before I forget again.. Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this yet. If your plants are getting the majority of their light from artificial sources. Don't skimp on the lighting! Even if it means holding off on buying plants for a while. Get the best lighting you can afford for your setup. It will be well worth it in the end.

Brie sent me a link for cfls with 55 watts and 3200 lumens with 5000K, would fitting three of those on top sufficient?

I think it will be a bit of a challenge to get 3 on there with reflectors and all. But if you can make it work it sounds like a reasonable amount of light for your project.

Back