What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(West) Yorkshire

MH1

Smile, it makes people nervous :)
I really love the pictue threads people have of where they live- so I thought I'd make one (even though I have pretty average photo skills & a simple digital camera). I'm always fascinated by seeing how different it is on a different continent- so here goes. Today was sunny, so I seized the chance to soak up some vitamin D :)

Path up to the moors
p1000994d.jpg

Vicrorian-made tarn at the bottom- for the wealthy to have their promenades
p1010087zq.jpg

p1010002cv.jpg

Path leading up to white-wells,
p1010005ul.jpg

A few of the many irratics carried here by glaciers thousands of years ago
p1010019ms.jpg

Windberries- a close relative of blueberries- just smaller and red on the inside. Everywhere on the lower moor
p1010018kt.jpg

Bracken grows everywhere on the lower moor- it's dying off for Autumn now though. It's actually carciogenic, and infects the water table with a carciogenic chemical, which means that people who live in bracken areas are more likely to get bowel cancer.
p1010031cz.jpg

Stinging nettles(left) and Dock-leaves(far right). The first stings, and the second helps the sting. They nearly always grow together. Nettles are evil- my sting is still pulsing from today.
p1010037hi.jpg

Glacial rock formations (there's a more impressive one, but didn't go to that part of the moor)
p1010045vn.jpg

My dog pratting around above Ilkley
p1010057i.jpg

The ground gets pretty eroded from walkers and heavy rain-
p1010058q.jpg

The ears of the UK- used to listen in on Soviet Russia.
p1010059t.jpg

SHEEP. The higher part of the moor is larger, flatter and more barren. Sheep, sphagnum moss and heather everywhere.
p1010060u.jpg

1/4 of the UK is this! A similar moor nearby was the setting for Wuthering Heights.
p1010063j.jpg

Piles and piles of sphag. Spoilt for choice of which to shoot, so just took a photo of the first patch I saw :)
p1010064k.jpg

p1010022di.jpg

p1010070wb.jpg

Rice red sphag- there were even brighter patches than this one
p1010071bq.jpg

Star Moss-
p1010067yo.jpg

p1010066u.jpg

All the heather in these photos bloomed bright purple 2 weeks ago - I'd hoped they'd still be flower :(
p1010076b.jpg

p1010075l.jpg

A poisonous toadstool (I think) on a steep incline on the edge of a marsh
p1010081qb.jpg

I hope you liked these so far- forgive my sub-par photography. Will post some more the next time I go out to a different place :)

Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I don't often think of the UK as being so green and full of ferns and such.

Really?! Where I live ferns just pop up everywhere LOL. I kinda thought the sterotype of britain was green and rainy lol :)

The stereotype that I have of England is cobble stone streets, little villages and Black Death. :)

... Cobbled streets? That was unexpected haha! Maybe I'll take some pics of our next village along the next time I go- it's basically JUST cobbled streets and stone houses/cottages aha!

Oo pretty
I like the sheep pic

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing a bit of your part of the world.

I found some older photos in my photo library-

Winter before last when we had a foot of snow (our past 3 winters have been unusually cold and snowy, down to 0F at least once each year.)
p1000231zw.jpg

The 12 apostles on the very top of Ilkley Moor- they're celtic, like stone-henge
p1000230l.jpg

The rest are misc photos taken in the dales, about 30 mins drive away. Ilkley Moor is the beggining of the Dales.
img0372t.jpg

img0371o.jpg

img0369s.jpg

img0365xh.jpg

img0362rx.jpg

img0360uw.jpg

img0357u.jpg

img0349y.jpg

img0347wd.jpg

Oh how lovely! Looks familiar (big fan of the old show "All Creatures Great and Small").

Wow
Do you kno the elevation of that place?

That star moss is wild. Love the look of it..

MH1,
Thanks for sharing some very interesting pics! :hail: I think I need to get my dictionary out to try to understand a few of your comments for the 1st series (LoL) .... "A few of the many irratics", "Vicrorian-made tarn at the bottom" & "Path leading up to white-wells".

That star moss is wild. Love the look of it..
I had some start to invade some of my pots about 8 months ago. At first I thought it looked cool, then it started to bother me because of how prolific it was. Last weekend I dug into a pot of a D. camporupestris that had died and the pot was covered with this stuff. The moss roots ('rhizoids') created a strong interlocking mass where once there was loose media. While I cannot be certain, it appears that this stuff choked my one & only dew of that South American species. Now I've got to see what I can do to eradicate it from my collection before it kills other plants ... :censor:

The stereotype that I have of England is cobble stone streets, little villages and Black Death. :)
The first two still exist, but hopefully Black Death doesn't:0o:

I was on a training course in an old harbour area of Aberdeen, Scotland last week and some of the roads are still cobbled there:

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=AB11+5RW&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=14.588871,43.286133&vpsrc=6&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Aberdeen+AB11+5RW,+United+Kingdom&ll=57.141794,-2.093012&spn=0.001633,0.005284&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=57.139716,-2.096731&panoid=06p6GxEOPENzuR9vqWuIYQ&cbp=12,20.77,,0,14.44&output=svembed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map</small>

The area around Aberdeen University still has some cobbled street too:

<iframe marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=embed&hl=en&geocode=&q=aberdeen+university&aq=&sll=57.171992,-2.099118&sspn=0.013052,0.042272&vpsrc=6&g=old+aberdeen&ie=UTF8&hq=aberdeen+university&ll=57.165756,-2.102251&spn=0.007597,0.010766&t=h&layer=c&cbll=57.166896,-2.102303&panoid=XVTODNH5UVSTDc5Z_3Ppbg&cbp=12,179.96,,0,3.61&output=svembed" frameborder="0" height="350" scrolling="no" width="425"></iframe>
<small>View Larger Map</small>

Wow
Do you kno the elevation of that place?

Elevation on Ilkley Moor is 1,319 ft max, and the dales pictures could be anywhere up to 2,415ft. It's not really that high in comparison to most mountains. Dale literally means 'hill'- very high hills, at that, but not really mountains. It's just low cloud :)

MH1,
Thanks for sharing some very interesting pics! :hail: I think I need to get my dictionary out to try to understand a few of your comments for the 1st series (LoL) .... "A few of the many irratics", "Vicrorian-made tarn at the bottom" & "Path leading up to white-wells".

LOL sorry, local/geographical terminology is pretty inclusive to my region/environment.

Irratics
- stones carried by glaciers from other regions- the rock is usually a different type to the surrounding are. I think the irratics here are limestone, wheras the area is millstone-grit sandstone.

Tarn- basically a pond, but tarns are usually formed by the crater left behind when the start of the glarier melts (caused by rotational slip as fallen snow slowly moves down from the top of the glacier and compacts, eroding the rock around it). The said tarn was there originally, but was made larger in the 1800s for scenic walks.

White-wells- A white house/well at the top of Ilkley Moor. In it there is a deep well that victorians used to bathe in. It's rediculously cold, and people go into it every New Years Eve for charity. I think someone died doing it a few years ago. Ilkley used to be a famous 'spa town' where to Victorians would go on holiday to 'take the cold waters'. The opposite of thermal springs. The cold water was used in various ways, but its used does boost white-blood cell count.

Back