What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What the heck is this?

Not acceptable answers include: "A light, duh" , "Light bulb", ect. So, my old neighbor comes over to my house, carrying this light and tells me that he thinks that I can use it for my plants. I put it away for a while and don't think about it. Last week, I dug it out and decided to try and figure out what kind of light it was, ect. There are no markings on it that I can see. I didn't see anything on ebay that resembles it

Very simply:

What kind of light fixture do I have?

What kind of bulbs will it support?

What is the best way that I can utilize it?

I have been window growing for about 1 year, and have maxed out my window capacity. Should I use it to supplement the window's sun or could I start a terrarium with a few lowlanders with this light?

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

I think the bulb gets hot, you can see the paint is gone on the inside by the light. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

It's huge is what it is... O_O

I'm no expert, but it looks like a metal halide to me.

EDIT: To answer how you can use it, if it is a metal halide: With extreme difficulty if it is indoors. Metal halides burn extremely hot and have a nasty way of dessicating plants that like a lot of moisture and/or humidity.

Looks like a metal halide fixture and bulb to me too. Not a fan either because of the heat produced...

Could be a metal halide, or High pressure sodium. Like others have said, lots of heat, very bright. They are high output lights, though. They will certainly give a lot of UV's. It could be good for growing maybe Sarracenia or flytraps or something that you can just rest in dishes of water to avoid dessication. Perhaps you could try putting a light screen a few inches under it to soak up some of the heat, creating a sort of shaded effect. However use caution with this light because it can be a fire hazard. That being said, don't touch the bulb very much, your natural oils can destroy the light under high-heat (that's what I've heard anyway). But yeah, for Nepenthes or Heliamphora this light may not be your best bet.

This type of light is typically used for growing Marijuana.

What kind of light fixture do I have?

What kind of bulbs will it support?

It looks like a special type of "sodium lamp with internal ignitor" to me.
Not very common in Germany, but I think in the UK such lamps are used sometimes.

Best guess: It will most likely support exactly the same type of bulb that is currently inserted.

To find out more: Screw the bulb out and have a look at the inscription on the socket of the bulb (may be very small printed or engraved). What can you read on the socket of the lamp?

I suspect that light was previously used to grow weed. :grin:

Could be a metal halide, or High pressure sodium. Like others have said, lots of heat, very bright. They are high output lights, though. They will certainly give a lot of UV's. It could be good for growing maybe Sarracenia or flytraps or something that you can just rest in dishes of water to avoid dessication. Perhaps you could try putting a light screen a few inches under it to soak up some of the heat, creating a sort of shaded effect. However use caution with this light because it can be a fire hazard. That being said, don't touch the bulb very much, your natural oils can destroy the light under high-heat (that's what I've heard anyway). But yeah, for Nepenthes or Heliamphora this light may not be your best bet.

This type of light is typically used for growing Marijuana.
This. HPS bulbs are often used for outdoor lighting. Dex is right about the oils deteriorating the bulb due to the very high heat output and high pressure. Honestly, I wouldn't even worry about it and just ditch it. It's not worth the troubles or the hazards.

xvart.

It is an old hydrofarm light similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sunburst-250W...s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1317679015&sr=1-126

Indeed as said, it runs hot & bright. It does have its uses, but there are better choices for CP's in my opinion. Here's a bulb similar to yours also:
http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-BUS...?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1317678961&sr=1-56

No mystery. And indeed, originally for growing grass! But if you have lots of room & larger plants to grow, it could be used successfully.

Good luck!

(I would offer you something for it if you didn't want it, but I imagine shipping even a state away (as I am) could cost more than it would be worth. But if it works, it would be interesting to try.)
If you plan to use it, keep some distance from your plants & anything flammable.

Thank you all!!!

I suspect that light was previously used to grow weed. :grin:

LoL. Come to think of it, when my neighbor came over his comments went something like this, "I think I'm going to jail for a while, I just wanted to give you this (the light). I thought you might be able to use it with your plants..." Something, ramble, something, ramble, something (he had a tendency to ramble, and I would zone in and out of his rambles)

So the consensus is:
1) Will burn up the neps, or my apartment
2) Might be great for growing hydroponic tomatoes all winter :-))

...great, I don't even like tomatoes

LoL. Come to think of it, when my neighbor came over his comments went something like this, "I think I'm going to jail for a while, I just wanted to give you this (the light). I thought you might be able to use it with your plants..." Something, ramble, something, ramble, something (he had a tendency to ramble, and I would zone in and out of his rambles)
Now that is hilarious. Nice...

xvart.

Thank you all!!!

So the consensus is:
1) Will burn up the neps, or my apartment
2) Might be great for growing hydroponic tomatoes all winter :-))

...great, I don't even like tomatoes

Use it for what it was intended for ;)

toss it out!

get rid of that old bulb, possible damage to the inner tube from over use can be very hazerdous. I have had them (MH) explode in my grow twice in 8 yrs. There are reports of this regularly on the OGF site.
On the other hand, the fixture is well worth saving.

Darn, wish I'd caught this thread earlier... yep, probably a metal halide, not high press. sodium (those are usually cylindrical, like a straight tube). Either 175 or 250w (it would say for sure on the bulb)... not something you could use on top of a glass terrarium, but mass could use it for his pimped out grow area of awesomeness. :-D

In case you were wondering, I can special order this stuff at work tho we don't specialize in "indoor agriculture." :rolleyes: I'm NOT one of those closet tomato growers... tho if you've got a closet, you might make a little money on the side :-))

Back