What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friendly squirrel

• Thread starter gill_za
  • Start date

gill_za

Never Knows Best
I have recently visited Washington DC and while taking a walk on Constitution Avenue spotted this little guy :). This young squirrel was very friendly, kept following me and other people. It would come near my foot and start rubbing against it like a kitten. I know I should not have petted it but I could not resist.

DSC04617.jpg

DSC04619.jpg

DSC04621.jpg

DSC04623.jpg

DSC04624.jpg

And then we fed it with a banana!
DSC04627.jpg

Here it is starting to lie down while munching on the banana :)
DSC04629.jpg

Last edited:
oh wow thats rare for a little one like that to come up to a human and trust it enough to let you pet it. But none the less amazing i had one follow me along a fence when i was trying to get to a buss stop silly little thing would run back and forth jump on the ground and run around in circles before going back up the fence/brickwall

Please never feed wild animals...

That's a first!

Please never feed wild animals...

Well it was hard to resist not to... Besides squirrels are almost domesticated anyway, look at them around college campuses. I had one recently sitting a meter in front of me on the grass and waiting until I finish my sandwich :)

The squirells in Madison Square Park are fat, docile and pretty cute I gotta say... people feed em all the time, no usual predators. They got it pretty good.

There is always a risk of rabies, but you can pretty much tell.
I do like them better than filthy pigeons and people feed those all the time!

You feed it banana.. and it will feed you rabies. What a deal.. :rolleyes:

no point.. I've got a couple wild coons running around out here. Would you pet them if they started rubbing against your leg? :lol:
I'm super humane, but I'd never pet a wild mammal. YOUR NUTS DUDE!!

no point.. I've got a couple wild coons running around out here. Would you pet them if they started rubbing against your leg? :lol:
I'm super humane, but I'd never pet a wild mammal. YOUR NUTS DUDE!!

Nah wouldn't pet those although I must admit id be tempted :) Id pet an opossum in a heartbeat, they are awesome.

haha.. they're SO stupid. I hate em'.. They're everywhere out here and are basically just an overgrown rodent.

lol i had a few coons playing in the back yard a month ago i think they were young though not sure where momma was, before my dog passed a few years ago i left a bowl of dog food out and found a coon eating out of it and he/she just gave me this look of you dont see me you dont see me :p

Neat! My grandpa from Arkansas adopted a baby squirrel who fell out of a tree when it was a little one and he nursed it back to health then it wouldn't leave so he kept it as a house pet it's entire life. Never put him in a cage - he had his own dresser drawer that he nested in cos he was also afraid of heights! He wouldn't go any higher than my grandpas shoulder.

My dad said after his father adopted the squirrel he refused to admit they ever hunted and ate squirrel while he was growing up! :D

Neat! My grandpa from Arkansas adopted a baby squirrel who fell out of a tree when it was a little one and he nursed it back to health then it wouldn't leave so he kept it as a house pet it's entire life. Never put him in a cage - he had his own dresser drawer that he nested in cos he was also afraid of heights! He wouldn't go any higher than my grandpas shoulder.

My dad said after his father adopted the squirrel he refused to admit they ever hunted and ate squirrel while he was growing up! :D

I was tempted to take it with me. But we planned to visit three museums while there so, carrying a baby squirrel in a backpack would probably not be a good idea. Especially considering that they checked our bags in one of them (and found my dirty stinking socks and t-shirt, in one of the side pockets, from gym that I forgot to take out)...

D'aaawwwww so cute!

This worries me though. Squirrels have been known to attack people living in Virginia, and they usually target kids. If enough people feed them that they aren't constantly after food, they may act like this. But, who is to say that once the food supply stops that they wont begin harassing people and clawing at babies for food?

This worries me though. Squirrels have been known to attack people living in Virginia, and they usually target kids. If enough people feed them that they aren't constantly after food, they may act like this. But, who is to say that once the food supply stops that they wont begin harassing people and clawing at babies for food?

OMG! I can already picture an army of bipedal evil squirrel overlords uplifted and united in taking the last food out of our hands! World hunger, World War III, humans are enslaved and are under the heel of an evil master squirrel race!

Last edited:
Be careful dude. When I was much younger and apparently knew no better I tried to feed a mature tame one in a tree and it just about took my finger off. Seriously. A guy at my work's son took care of one after Hurricane Irene that was that small. Their cuddly and all like a cat until they mature. Then, like a wood chipper that will cause a bad week or hand.

Last edited:
Back