What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP of the month notice

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
So... Mass doesn't want to do the "of the month" contests anymore. I volunteered to do them, but in the meantime he closed all but the POTM contest for October, which only has one entry anyway. I think it would be a good idea to have a general "CP of the month" contest, which would merge all of the others, plus the ones that don't fall into a category, such as helis, pings, and utrics. The current rules are as follows:

"Rules of Entry:
1. Only ONE (1) plant per member may be entered in any particular month.
2. All pictures must be taken in the month of entry into the contest.
3. All entries must be clearly identified.
4. Entries are restricted to cultivated plants.
5. Contestants may post as many times and as many pictures of their entry as they like until contest closing.
6. If, for some reason, a single plant cannot be isolated and a group shot is necessary, then the particular plant entered must be clearly identified in your post.
7. Plant must have been grown by owner at least six months prior to photo.
8. Any plant(s) that have finished in the top 3 may not be reentered again for the following 90 days.
9. Times of Contest and Poll openings and closings are to be understood as EST.
10. Judging by forum members and guests in a poll opening on X, closing X and using the Condorcet Internet Voting Service (Beatpath/Schulze/CSSD completion rule). The THREE (3) most popular entries (according to "proportional representation") will be considered "Winners" and the top 3 places will be posted in the 'Hall of Fame" sub-board."

These rules are up for review. Not everyone is happy with them currently, so they are open to be tweaked! Comment about which rule should be changed and why, and if it makes sense, consider it done! The CPOTM contests should be fair, fun and accepted by the majority.

Happy growing!

Being that there are many short lived cp's I think the time the cp has to be grown by the owner should be shortened

I disagree (sort of) with cpsammich. Although that rule may be a little too stringent on certain Drosera or Pinguicula, it certainly is an effective rule in regards to Cephalotus, Nepenthes or any of the longer living, slower growing plants.

Maybe by amount of new growth?

That's not necessarily accurate either because with temperate species or tuberous dews (in my opinion) what's going to determine the true success of a growers ability to grow the plants is demonstrating how they grow throughout and after a definite period of dormancy.

For instance you can grow a temperate dew through the summer and get plenty of new growth, but if you can't demonstrate you can grow it in and out of dormancy, then should it really be a plant of the month?

I don't know, that's my $.02

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Wait, I just read the POTM contest, so let me get this straight, you intend on consolidating all of the months into just one?

Seeing as the entire contest was rooted in Nepenthes pitchers to begin with that seems kind of sac-religious to get rid of the Nepenthes POTM contest, especially now when it has finally been picking up considerable steam.

If it's a matter of not wanting to handle that many threads than shoot I would certainly volunteer to run the POTM if it meant making sure it didn't disappear. ???

[/COLOR]Wait, I just read the POTM contest, so let me get this straight, you intend on consolidating all of the months into just one?

Seeing as the entire contest was rooted in Nepenthes pitchers to begin with that seems kind of sac-religious to get rid of the Nepenthes POTM contest, especially now when it has finally been picking up considerable steam.

If it's a matter of not wanting to handle that many threads than shoot I would certainly volunteer to run the POTM if it meant making sure it didn't disappear. ???

It's less handling all the threads and more that it doesn't make sense to have a separate contest for everything. There's a pitcher of the month, drosera of the month, ceph of the month, and sarr of the month. Even then a few categories get left out. Why not just mesh them all together and have a big contest that anyone with a nice cp, regardless of type, can enter? like I said, this is up for review, but it really isn't fair that someone with a nice heli or ping can't enter it in a contest.

If we end up keeping all the seperate contests, I can help manage all of them.

I don't think you should get rid of the POTM contest, you could start a general CP photo competition but you should still keep the other competition too.

perhaps the winners of all the the "__________ of the month" contests should be entered into the CP of the month contest. Like a CP Superbowl.

It's less handling all the threads and more that it doesn't make sense to have a separate contest for everything. There's a pitcher of the month, drosera of the month, ceph of the month, and sarr of the month. Even then a few categories get left out. Why not just mesh them all together and have a big contest that anyone with a nice cp, regardless of type, can enter? like I said, this is up for review, but it really isn't fair that someone with a nice heli or ping can't enter it in a contest.

Wait, are you saying someone's Drosera would be entered against someone's say, heli? No, I don't think that's fair at all. People will naturally have a favorite genus of CP and the contests may consistently choose the same genera while excluding nice, but less popular, genera that also deserve to be recognized. If, however, you mean making a POTM thread to collect all entries and place all polls in, that just seems unnecessarily confusing. I believe a POTM should be for plants that don't have a contest of their own.

Also, I don't agree with rule #3. If a plant is clearly in a genus, it doesn't matter what species it is. It can still look nice.

Also, will there be a sarr plant of the month? Seems odd, considering they wont be growing again until spring. (Although my purp. is looking nice atm)

I personally wouldn't be entering any more dews against some of the amazing Neps, Helis, and Cephs I've seen here...they wouldn't stand a chance. Not worth finicking over...

perhaps the winners of all the the "__________ of the month" contests should be entered into the CP of the month contest. Like a CP Superbowl.

I think this is a neat idea if the old system is kept. Maybe the winners of the superbowl could be included in next years calendar :)

Wait, are you saying someone's Drosera would be entered against someone's say, heli? No, I don't think that's fair at all. People will naturally have a favorite genus of CP and the contests may consistently choose the same genera while excluding nice, but less popular, genera that also deserve to be recognized. If, however, you mean making a POTM thread to collect all entries and place all polls in, that just seems unnecessarily confusing. I believe a POTM should be for plants that don't have a contest of their own.

Also, I don't agree with rule #3. If a plant is clearly in a genus, it doesn't matter what species it is. It can still look nice.

Also, will there be a sarr plant of the month? Seems odd, considering they wont be growing again until spring. (Although my purp. is looking nice atm)

When you say POTM, do you mean Pitcher of the month (as in nepenthes) or are you referring to a general CP of the month? I'm not sure of the question, sorry.

Sarr of the month, as you said, doesn't make sense for the most part over the northern hemisphere winter. However, there are still people who grow them on the other side of the equator--so though there would only be only a few people entering each month, a general CP of the month would at least give them that option, as with temperate dews and vfts. I'm proposing this because every plant would get a chance and be judged on the same grounds, and the whole battle would be a lot more epic, with a lot more entries.

I agree with you on rule #3. I strongly recommend labeling the plant if you can, but if you're not sure on the species it should still be fine. It's about looks, not pedigree, after all.

I just want everyone to remember that everything is up for review! I want EVERYONE to be happy here! :)

Happy growing!

Sorry, I meant a general plant of the month. If we keep the old system then, I would be all for an additional plant of the month for plants that are excluded from other contests. Do you think, if we make a general competition, that Drosera, neps, and cephs should be excluded?

I think the superbowl style thing would be awesome! I am of the opinion that there should be a contest of the month for as many genre as people demand! Right now it seems that Nepenthes, Cephalotus and maybe Drosera are the real popular ones.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Pinguicula of the month or even a Utricularia of the month. If it's a time management thing I certainly wouldn't mind helping out.

Yeah the "superbowl style" sounds like the best idea if ppl are able to manage all of the separate POTM contests.

Back