What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killing fungus gnats/larvae

Brie

Sarracenia freak
uuggghhhh... So out of curiosity, I uprooted a few of my declining pings to take a look at their roots... And yeah. THERE ARE NO ROOTS. Just lots and lots of $(@&$:)censor: fungus gnat larvae. Son of a... SO.. Any pointers on eradicating these little buggers? I'm going to repot EVERYTHING here in a few days.. Is there anything I can do to keep them from coming back?

Oh...wow that sucks! :0o: You should post pictures. Nothing I can think of besides pesticides.

uuggghhhh... So out of curiosity, I uprooted a few of my declining pings to take a look at their roots... And yeah. THERE ARE NO ROOTS. Just lots and lots of $(@&$:)censor: fungus gnat larvae. Son of a... SO.. Any pointers on eradicating these little buggers? I'm going to repot EVERYTHING here in a few days.. Is there anything I can do to keep them from coming back?

This (dissolve in water or just dump a few vermiculite pieces with nematodes into the top layer of soil), or repot in ALL mineral soil. Avoid anything organic.

Oh...wow that sucks! :0o: You should post pictures. Nothing I can think of besides pesticides.

Pesticides and fungicides don't go well with pings from what I read.

Last edited:
People say keeping a mineral top layer like silica sand deters them...not sure how to get rid of the larvae in the first place though.

Im thinkin about using those Mosquito Dunks.. Im concerned about things like dew seedlings as well when I put all my seeds into strat.. Anyone know if they harm pings/seedlings/other delicate plants?

Im thinkin about using those Mosquito Dunks.. Im concerned about things like dew seedlings as well when I put all my seeds into strat.. Anyone know if they harm pings/seedlings/other delicate plants?

They could raise the TDS of water and mess up your pH, but if you use a small portion of the ring I think it should not be a problem. I have used systemic insecticide on other plants and have added beneficial nematodes to others. Very rarely I see a gnat anywhere (knocks on wood)... :)

They could raise the TDS of water and mess up your pH, but if you use a small portion of the ring I think it should not be a problem. I have used systemic insecticide on other plants and have added beneficial nematodes to others. Very rarely I see a gnat anywhere (knocks on wood)... :)

Well, apparently they're a bacteria, not a pesticide, that kills the larva once eaten.. I dont think it would mess up the water TOO much.. i'll do some more research on em but so far they sound pretty promising..

Gnatrol is the best natural fugus knat control but not cheap

Gnatrol is the best natural fugus knat control but not cheap

My understanding is the manufacturer has stopped making that product now. Not sure when this happened so may still be available in some stores.

Andrew

Well, apparently they're a bacteria, not a pesticide, that kills the larva once eaten.. I dont think it would mess up the water TOO much.. i'll do some more research on em but so far they sound pretty promising..

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Carnivorous-Plants-711/2010/7/Mosquito-Dunks-Hurting-VTF.htm

that is what I've found before posting previous message :)
Portion of that ring most likely consists of an inactive ingredient (or several) that keeps/glues the endospores of that bacillus together. That ingredient could raise the TDS and buffer pH as well. But if you use a little you should be fine :)

Last edited:
I had gnat problem in my Utrics and I just used a knife and made some scrapings of mosquito dunks. All you need is a' starter' culture of B. thuringensis. If there's food, in this case gnat larvae, they'll multiply. You don't need a whole lot.

If it is any help, I keep mosquito dunks in my rain barrel and the water from there hasn't harmed any of my plants (that I can see). I've never used it on pings but i have used physan on neps and dews without problems.

man, since joining the forum, i had no idea that there are so many potential problems with CP, good luck to you.

Mosquito dunks are FINE. I've been using them few a number of years now.

Mosquito dunks kill gnats, too? Wow, lots I didn't know. I though t it would *only* kill it's target-- baby skeeters.

Back