What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beware:

• Thread starter lizasaur
  • Start date

lizasaur

Charlatan
So every now and then some lecherous cretin comes into the hobby that isn't good for it, and one decided to raise its ugly head at me.

omgineedanadult-1.jpg

I forwarded it to that site's admin. And thought I'd warn you guys too. This person obviously doesn't believe in rules.

Last edited:
Oh damn wow....:0o: You should call the police or something.

Rather funny quote he has on his signature considering the type of post he made there... :lol:

Hahaha, yeah I noticed that too :p

I can barely understand what they even want...

Okay, layman's translation is as follows:
"He's been looking for someone that lives in Florida to sell him Sarracenia that are harvested from the wild in a sustainable fashion....without CITES.
Quid pro quo, he wants plants, and I could surely use money. He'll pay me for plants and shipping, and would find other people that are interested in buying these Sarracenia as well.
He'll pay me somewhere between 50-100 dollars a month for 10 plants a month, not including shipping.
If it doesn't sound good to me, do I know someone that would do it?
~ sissy name
-ironic quote for signature"

Darn! What a sleeze bag and way to go Liz, for immediately calling him out and posting on here. That's grimey!

rottlinois just made an account on terraforums!

Just send him a box within a box within a box within a box and charge him money for it ... :bigthumpup:

rottlinois just made an account on terraforums!
Yup - Terra's newest member!! I guess he figures the 'Pay-for-Poaching' is better on a US-based forum :crazy:...
rottlinois.jpg

Liz - Great job bringing this out into the open! :hail:

I was actually thinking about sending him pictures of the ones I saw in the wild, and just sending him a bunch half-dead Lowes plants :p

But Lowes around here don't have deathcubes + It would taint the hobby (plants with fake location info) + I'm pretty sure I'd still get in trouble, so I was just like :spazz: HALPS, STRANGE FRENCHMEN ARE ASKING ME TO DO BAD THINGS I DON'T WANNA DO!

Definitely won't approve him.... But, by having the post up (screenshot)- are we not giving the information out to someone who would be willing to do it? *shrug* Maybe I'm looking at it wrong though :p

Well I trust there'd be no one that would do that, but I'm sure enough people have seen it and know so Imma edit it out.

I don't think any of our members would be willing to do this.

I like the idea of sending him pictures. He'd be so confused! Maybe throw in a few dry, dead leaves. Wait, you'd still need shipping permits for those since they could still have live bugs in them.

There are some that are okay with collecting from the wild, but the *pretending CITES isn't real* thing is where I imagine everyone would be stopped.

Eh, he's not reachable here.. hopefully he won't be on the other... so guess no one can really find him anyway :p

I don't think any of our members would be willing to do this.
Au contraire! I wish that were true - but think about it - if Liz hadn't out'd him, then no one would have even realized he was here. Or, if he even bothered to change his name ... ???

It's very easy to assume that our community is homogeneous and that everyone has the same ideals/ethics/etc - the reality is a bit more harsh.

I was reminded of that on a bird-watching forum several years ago. A newbie posted the location of a hawk nest and got swarmed by long-term members. Apparently bird poachers join the lists specifically to get info like that... :headwall:

We have members (pyro, tony...et. al.,) who have had their plants stolen,
Sometimes the thief was selective and getting only the best plants.

You gotta figure it was another member, or at the very least someone who visits TF
Sad, but that is why I havent included myself in the TF google map thingy

Anyone who would steal from another member would surely have no issue with poaching.

if only 0.01% of our membership is capable of such acts, and we have over a thousand members... well that is at least 10 people

Last edited:
Good points. Whenever I posted photos from fieldwork and wild populations I always had this little voice in my head saying, "Don't reveal the location past a county level." I knew there was a reason for that.

SAME guy contacted me on Cpuk.... I said that I'm not interested in doing any business with him. Glad your are spreading through TF about this guy Liz!

Back