What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algae Problem

I'm trying to germinate some Nepenthes seeds. I used sphagnum moss as a medium and I basically put it along with the seeds on top of it in a food container. My problem is algae has grown on the moss and practically coated the whole surface after just a few weeks. How can I remove these things without having to damage the seeds? Any opinion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hmmmm... thank you mobile. but my problem's i have it already in my moss. any suggestions on how i can minimize the growth of algae?

10% Hydrogen peroxide solution bought from the store and dH2O. Spray once or twice a day. Repeat till gone. Although once when the seedlings germinate, I would refrain from using this application.

I tried using a diluted solution of this before but it didn't work. I guess I have to use it at full strength. I fear that the algae will just deplete the nutrients / air that my seeds need to germinate...

I'm not too sure I'd jump right into a full strength application?

Maybe try increasing the solutions potency gradually to see if the algae responds to a minimal increase from what you've already tried.

3% is usually what you buy in the store
12% is what's used to professionally bleach hair
What do you mean by full strength? 40% industrial 100% explosive?

Peat sand is more prone algae growth in my experience. Algae on lfs can be avoided if lfs washed in di water thoroughly before use. I have noticed that ones algae move in.. that is pretty much it.. fight is lost.

.3% peroxide solution. Requires multiple applications. 3% Is plenty strong. Strong enough to melt anubias plants under prolonged exposure.

Would that not affect the germination of the seeds?

Would that not affect the germination of the seeds?

are you talking about the seed themselves? that shouldnt effect the viability of the seeds since the embryos would be protected by their seed coats. however, once the embryo is exposed, all bets are off, which is why it should no longer be used...

There is a product used in the Aquatic Plant hobby sold by Seachem called Flourish Excel. http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishExcel.html It is a carbon source for the plants, but does have some side effects on algae, especially direct application. I don't have any idea how it would work in your application, but an experiment is always a learning experience.

Dunno, I'd be worried about using Excel with CPs...certain "aquatic" plants can have harsh reactions to it and I would consider CPs to be more sensitive. At a more dilute concentration you might lose the algaecide properties.

But if someone has or is willing to try it out then I would be interested in knowing the results. I have some on hand and would love to put it to use.

Dunno, I'd be worried about using Excel with CPs...certain "aquatic" plants can have harsh reactions to it and I would consider CPs to be more sensitive. At a more dilute concentration you might lose the algaecide properties.

But if someone has or is willing to try it out then I would be interested in knowing the results. I have some on hand and would love to put it to use.

Excel seems to target the plants that can use bicarbonate as their carbon source like Vallisneria, and Anacharis. I believe Riccia also can't tolerate it. Not so sure about any others.

Back