What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedbugs...

• Thread starter Wire Man
  • Start date
Thermal remediation?
Bedbugs die at 118 degrees F
Their eggs die at 115
Costs $1.50 per sq foot

I've read stem CAN work... but it really takes someone knowing exactly where to treat since it is spot treating. While heat treatment just gets everywhere! Mattresses and all that are kept. There are some bugs that live within, but after the heat, there is nothing left but a dry shell basically so really not too much to worry about. A good mattress cover is a good idea anyway (can even protect your mattress should you become infested.) Steam rapid heats a spot, and moves on. So it's kinda the same problem as fumigation... It can kill what's out and walking around but any that are deep within somewhere will be fine and left behind. The whole place heating method raises the temps above the bugs dying temp (I believe they aim for 130f). and holds it for 3 hours to make sure it soaks into your drawers and everything so there is really no where they can hide.
Please, no matter what method they use... Make sure that they are scheduled for a check or two... And maybe even do these checks yourself. You can pull the corner of the carpet up (they love it there!) and look in the seam along the edge of your mattress. Do these checks late in the evening when it is dark, and sneak in with a flashlight. And do some in the AM and mid day too just to cover whatever time they may feel like exploring. They move pretty quck! Of course any of those tale tale bites in the AM will let you know they are still there. Don't let them keep on spraying the place, or doing this spot steam treatment. You pay for your place... and you should get to live there without problems. :)
Good luck!
Andrew

I'll keep that in mind, for sure. I'd prefer if they did the entire heat treatment.

I've had problems with this apartment since I moved in. The former roommate put a hole in my door with a rifle (which was illegal in this complex) and I had a tree branch fall through my bedroom ceiling after the hurricane.

Dang dude... what I time. :-\ I meant to say in my previous post that I hope things turn around for you. It sucks when a bunch of junk happens at once, but once it sucks... it generally starts to get better. Hang in there! :-}

PS you mentioned the old tenant came and stayed without permission... What is that all about? Is that the room mate you mention? Sounds like you need to have your doors rekeyed... We generally do that once as a courtesy for people in a situation like that, but some places will charge. If they do the rekeying in house, it should be fairly cheap like 5-8 bucks per cylinder (spot you put a key in) if they have to call someone out, expect the trip charge on top of it. I know it's a time that money is tight, but maybe just have the main deadbolt done on each door or something. It could end up saving you money in the long run. :)

Andrew

I hope things turn around too. Work is going to suck with my neck like this. And I have no clod weather clothing because my jackets had to be thrown away. Hopefully no one attacks me in the maze today. If they do, things will get interesting. I remember a few years ago I was in a really bad situation, and some people I thought were friends tried to make it better by firing a rifle at me in a parking lot. Aren't we alotted a certain amount of bad luck cards in a lifetime?

I have no clue how he got in, but we're going to do something about it. I can assure you that after this whole ordeal I don't want to see him in this city ever again.

And I have no clod weather clothing because my jackets had to be thrown away.

With clothes you can do heat treatment (113 °F or above).

Or you can do cold treatment in the freezer at 0°F (-18°C) for 72 hours.
Just put jackets in a plastic bag, then into the freezer for three days and done.

Sensitive electronical equipment that is not suitable for heat or cold treatment or spraying insecticides inside the electronic parts can be treated with CO2 (60 % CO2 / 24 hours) instead.

I found this information about the three non-toxic ways of killing bedbugs (heat/cold/CO2 treatment) on the website of a federal agency in Germany.

Back