What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help wiring PC fan

• Thread starter riceman
  • Start date
Disregard the white and blue wires...those are for speed control..etc
If you strip back a cord to connect to the fan you will find a red and black wire (maybe w/ some other ones).
Just twist red to red and black to black together and put a wire cap (or something) on them to make sure you don't ever get shocked. Make sure the cord you choose is more that 5 volts or 12 volts or less depending on the speed you want for the fans. If you connect 2 fans to one cord make sure the input is 12 volts.

Nope. It doesn't work. Checked proper voltage and all that. The fan is dead.

Its circuit board probably blew....it happens
Try searching a computer junk yard if there's one near you ;)

local PC repair shop

will have a small mountain of used fans. Many will also have the phone charger/adapter to hook to for the wall end.

Nope. It doesn't work. Checked proper voltage and all that. The fan is dead.

Did you also check the max. current of the AC/DC adapter?

I just checked the specs of your fan (from the ID on the picture and searching the Internet):
> Rated Voltage : 12V
> Operating Voltage Range : 4 ~ 13.4 V
> Input Current : 1.60 Amp
> Input Power : 19.20 Watt
> It comes with 4 wire lead (white=TAC sensor, red=power, black=gnd, blue=PWM control)
> to 5 pin Dell connector

This is a very strong fan that draws a lot of current.
The 12V AC/DC adaptor should have a rating of at least 1.6 Amp = 1600 mA or more.
Has it?

Not always true, but usually with DC the red and black are power, with them being pos and neg respectively

+1 on warren's comment

I have some large CPU fans if you need some.

Thanks Dashman, very kind of you. I actually don't need one right now. I have a smaller one running, just that I have this one lying around so I thought I'd see if it runs and curious to see how powerful the fan is. Thanks tho'.

Back