What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scrabble vs. Words With Frirnds

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Why is 'Words With Friends' so popular, relative to Scrabble? Only a small handful of my friends on Facebook play Scrabble, which is the original, when the knockoff is played by many more.

I have never heard of "Words With Friends" but I do love scrabble :grin:

younger generation?

maybe they are afraid of being archaic.
Look on the streets today, the fashions are the same as we saw in the '70's, but they think it is all new.:crazy:

Yea I'm on Facebook, I just never play the games Facebook has. I would prefer to play scrabble in real life.

I would, too. Just not enough time to complete a game. At least on FB you can spread the game out over time and play one word a day. Would you be interested in a game with me?

Count me in for scrabble. If the thread title is any indication, I think I could win! :-D

Count me in for scrabble. If the thread title is any indication, I think I could win! :-D

Hmmmm... yet another one of my patented typos....

Friend me!

Frirnds :lol: I am kind of busy right now but maybe another time.

LOL! My link is in my signature.... but I'll follow yours.

LOL! My link is in my signature.... but I'll follow yours.

Hehe... maybe I don't have as good a chance as I thought in the game...

Hehe... maybe I don't have as good a chance as I thought in the game...

LOL! I know words and can spell... I just do a lot of typos!

Anyways, why is 'Words' seemingly more popular than Scrabble? Who invented 'Words' and why?

I think it is because it a re-introduction to scrabble. They pretty much took the exact same thing put a new name on it and made it seem like it was for the younger crowd. Words with Friends is Scrabble's younger hotter sister/brother and all the new kids want to play with her/him instead of the older, smugger sister/brother.

Well I tried to explain what I was thinking haha!!

You're on.

I'll check tomorrow morning... when I have Facebook access....

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

I think it is because it a re-introduction to scrabble. They pretty much took the exact same thing put a new name on it and made it seem like it was for the younger crowd. Words with Friends is Scrabble's younger hotter sister/brother and all the new kids want to play with her/him instead of the older, smugger sister/brother.

Well I tried to explain what I was thinking haha!!

I like that! I wonder if it has anything to do with the cability of playing 'Words' on one's cell phone, whereas one can't with Scrabble.

Scrabble:

1) Can look up words before using them
2) Easier to navigate through, without the ads to slow you down
3) 50 point bonus for using all letters on rack
4) Gives you double word score on first turn

Words:

1) tweaks point value of letters to be more reflective of use / difficulty.
2) More Triple Word Score places
3) Can play on Cell phone

Back