What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wacko idea: Germinating CP on Kombucha?

fdfederation

Confused Magikarp
I don't have any plans to pursue this experiment, but the kombucha layers reminded me of gelatin/agar and I wondered if it would be possible to germinate seeds on it. I don't know the effects of bacteria/yeast, pH, or sugar content on seedlings.

absurd! ludicrous!! let me know how it goes, i am very intrigued ;]

As strange as it might sound, it may work -- if only due to the "zoological mat's" acidity and mild alcoholic elements -- with its built-in resistance to airborne mold and bacteria. The limiting factor may very well be that acidity, since the disgusting wad, the SCOBY (the symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) includes as its acidic element Acetobacter, used in the production of acetic acid (vinegar). Acetobacter has also been used to raise antibiotics such as cephalexin; whether it would ais or inhibit germination sounds like a project to me.

Experiment all you like; just don't drink that crap . . .

Wont the sugar in solution affect the roots I wonder. Also the acidity of kombucha is higher than that of peat. Acetic acid is far stronger, if I'm not mistaken, than tannic acid and may result in the damage to the plant.

I used to brew kombucha :)

Back