What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most users ever online was 657, 03-24-2008 at 10:37 AM.

fdfederation

Confused Magikarp
I saw this at the bottom of the index page.
Most users ever online was 657, 03-24-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Why were so many users to online at the time?

I saw this at the bottom of the index page.

Why were so many users to online at the time?

You never can know.

Maybe some kind of botnet in a spidering/searchbot attack against Terraforums to find e-mail addresses on the pages for sending spam mails?

The number may state "users online", but it doesn't mean "registered users". Indeed guest visitors are also counted in this number. And more than that: The number is based on "computers online", which means, that maybe it were automated spidering computers from an automated webcrawling botnet.

Or then there is the however unlikely possibility that every carnivorous plant geek in the world decided to log into Terraforums at the same time! :lol:

But as I told: You never can be sure.

Another possibility is, that one of the bigger television or Internet news networks has announced the web address, so that many TV viewers or Internet magazine readers switched to the forum at the same time. Even here in Germany some publications are big enough, so that they can cause something like a distributed denial-of-service attack for smaller websites, if they mention and link an URL address in one of their news articles.

Back