What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

priority mail haters

• Thread starter MICKEY
  • Start date
they said that with me as well.

I'm with Ron on this. Out of the dozens of priority packages I received this year only one had any significant damage which did not affect the contents at all. No complaints on any of the packages I sent out either.

And since I've been saying "Hi" or "Good Day" to my mail carrier he leaves the priority packages on my balcony instead of the community mailbox area that any one walking by on the street can take packages from. Just a little personal touch goes a long way.

I had a a big Nep hybrid come from LA 2 hours north...took about a week -__-

Other than my most recent mishap, which thank goodness was just seed, the only problems I've run into with shipped plants are due to careless packaging by the original owner (not TF members, mind you). That being said it does seem like things take the very longest time possible to get up here.

I used to deliver mail as a back up and I tried to follow the requests on the boxes but the boxes are thrown into large bins for shipping and sorting so up is how they land, i received my package that was mailed monday on sat on its side it was very well packed and only a little soil was covering the pitchers and they where a little loose so I cleaned the plant off and packed the soil (loosely) back in the pot Plant looks like it is ok
glad there was good weather

I live in an area that some couriers class as rural or remote, even though it is not many miles away from the oil capital of Europe! This effectively means that next day means the day after next. 'This way up' means very little to many couriers and you really should not rely on this as protection for anything you are sending. If you are sending plants then ensuring that they are secure, so that they don't rattle around in the packaging, and making sure that they have sufficient moisture - many growers in Europe wrap wet kitchen towel around the roots and tape these into a bag to avoid evaporation. I received a Heliamphora a couple of weeks ago which had not been secured sufficiently inside the box and every pitcher had been broken.

Dear USPS..

I HATE YOU IN THE FACE!!

Sincerely,
The Entire World.

What happened Travis?!?! D:

Well.... I think USPS is better than Canada Post. Ridiculously expensive and freaking stupid mail men who don't bother inspite of the message: LIVE PLANTS Fragile. The package was stuck in the mail truck for 7 extra days. This is how my lepanthes looked when I got it.

6278607468_6cc30019d6_z.jpg

Haters gonna hate.

I personally have no qualms with the service. I think it's great.

I have never had any issues with our Canadian postal system except for packages taking longer than they should to arrive...

one time i was at the post and i started writing "fragile" on one of my packages and the guy told me to stop because it just doesnt matter. he said the drivers pretty much ignore all writing on the package and if its not insured actually makes it a target for drivers who are having a bad day will be extra rough with it.

That wasnt at the "actual" post office but it was a little drop off place where they also did fedex and UPS shipping too. i stopped going there right after that because i felt like i couldnt trust them and it did seem awfully unprofessional to tell a customer that their package wasnt in safe hands.... he was probably telling the truth though.

so i bought a nice rubber stamp to stamp my packages with an official looking FRAGILE across it but i stopped using it about 6 months ago and havnt had any damaged parcels anyways before or after...

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

oh btw, a lot of you may not know it but when they are loading/unloading trucks with packages they will walk on top of them while organizing or retrieving boxes. thats why sometimes you'll get a box in the mail that is crushed

I personally have no qualms with the service. I think it's great.

Great huh? I have a package that has been "missing" for over 2 weeks now. And another package that came today, that was opened.. then stapled shut. Which means, SOMEONE AT USPS IS GOING THROUGH MY MAIL!
I don't consider premeditated theft "great" service.

This thread should just be USPS haters.
Here is a link to complain about:
**Mail theft (mail you failed to receive but should have, or that you received with the contents missing).
**Vandalism to your mail receptacle.
**Tampering (mail that was handled destructively).
**False change of address.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/...d/fraudschemes/mailtheft/ReportMailTheft.aspx

Last edited:
I should send them a piece of my mind...

I know its not priority... but this is what happened when I had some gemmae sent to me via regular post.. Someone had carefully opened the envelope, pulled out the little bubble wrap enveloped, cut that open with scissors or a knife, opened the baggy of gemmae, PULL OUT the little folded up bit of paper towel with the gemmae on it.. then when they saw it wasnt drugs or something, they dropped all of it, as is/taken apart, back into the envelope and taped it shut again. Due to the wet paper towel being out in the envelope, it caused a wet spot in the paper that got torn open, AND the gemmae were as dry and crispy as the paper.

Tape
6314126874_2cfa29df7d_b.jpg

The cut in the little bubble wrap protective envelope.. instead of just unpeeling the tape..
6313607139_923f95f906_b.jpg

And I forgot to mention, whoever it was, was lazy enough to just CUT THE TOP on the little ziplock baggy to pull out the gemmae. Why not just open it the normal way?!
6313606749_a4d2bc16a8_b.jpg

Dry as a bone paper towel/gemmae
6313606585_fde5f1f613_b.jpg

Which means, SOMEONE AT USPS IS GOING THROUGH MY MAIL!
Last year I purchased my wife a Christmas ornament from a lady who does handcrafted jewelry. The ornament was in a fancy small box, wrapped in super-nice wrapping paper & inside a larger brown box. The outside of the box was embellished with her business name (featuring the word 'Jewelry' very prominently).

When I received it, the outer box was torn open, the wrapping paper ripped apart and the inner box was mangled. They were not stopping until they got to the 'goodies'. While initially quite upset, I calmed down somewhat when I found that although they had ripped everything apart, the thief apparently didn't like the idea of a handcrafted ornament and stuffed everything back inside. :-))

In hindsight, this was probably a good education on how not to label the exterior of a box.... ???

Note to thief: if you're going to steal stuff, bring a razor blade or a knife. This package looked like it was opened with your teeth - couldn't have been a quick or quiet process .... :nono:

What are these people thinking?!?! Just some punk kid in a mail sorting room by himself going through every 50-100 packages, or what?

this time of year the post office hires people for Xmas that doesn't help , also its illegal to send plants to cal.

Back