What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

priority mail haters

• Thread starter MICKEY
  • Start date
Lets hear your horror stories about priority mail,or other mail,pictures would help:cry:

Uhoh... did the package not make it intact?

copy pasted from my setup thread:

I was the lucky winner of Jbradt's generous giveaway and we decided to ship on wednesday instead of the planned monday. So the shipping and packaging said that my package was to arrive on friday. Along comes friday and no package comes, I check the track and confirm later and it said they attempted to deliver at 6:15 pm and they left a note. The funny thing is that, I WAS THERE at that time and there was no usps truck. So the next day arrives and I call the ask usps number, they tell me to call the local office so I do, no answer, I call five more times, no answer. I eventually just walk over to the office which is like two miles away. When I get there they tell me my package is on the truck and they tell me to go to the address where it is being shipped. I walk two miles back and when I am a block away I happen to see my local usps guy, We are friends and he is a nice guy. I ask him when I should get my package and he says they arent delivering to my address and that he remembers seeing my package at the usps place. He then calls them to tell them where my package is and he tells me to go back to pick it up. Two more miles of walking and I finally get my package. I walk another two miles home to discover they completely ignored the "this side up" signs that jbradt put on the package so I find my new heli's roots snapped off...

copy pasted from my setup thread:

I was the lucky winner of Jbradt's generous giveaway and we decided to ship on wednesday instead of the planned monday. So the shipping and packaging said that my package was to arrive on friday. Along comes friday and no package comes, I check the track and confirm later and it said they attempted to deliver at 6:15 pm and they left a note. The funny thing is that, I WAS THERE at that time and there was no usps truck. So the next day arrives and I call the ask usps number, they tell me to call the local office so I do, no answer, I call five more times, no answer. I eventually just walk over to the office which is like two miles away. When I get there they tell me my package is on the truck and they tell me to go to the address where it is being shipped. I walk two miles back and when I am a block away I happen to see my local usps guy, We are friends and he is a nice guy. I ask him when I should get my package and he says they arent delivering to my address and that he remembers seeing my package at the usps place. He then calls them to tell them where my package is and he tells me to go back to pick it up. Two more miles of walking and I finally get my package. I walk another two miles home to discover they completely ignored the "this side up" signs that jbradt put on the package so I find my new heli's roots snapped off...

Oh the humanity! :ohno:

at least they didn't go postal on it

:crazy: I had one go from Arizona to Oregon via Hawaii. What should have been at most a 2-day trip took about a week. Plant arrived a little dry, but otherwise none the worst for wear. I always thought one of the requirements for a job with the US postal service was being able to read and to decipher numbers, but apparently I was misled. ??? :censor:

I got a package from Travis that took one day to get here. Then I have a package from the same zip as mine take three days -____-

heli if u get a package from doom it would probably take a month, you would be better off walking to his house

I will be doing that.

they completely ignored the "this side up" signs

LOL.

Seems to be the same thing in every country: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXCiRd5CjS8

BTW: The postal service company makes its own general business terms, not the customer! So if they do not offer a "this side up product" for transportation, it just doesn't matter what the customer writes on the package. You can write "sing Happy Birthday when delivering" on the packet and it doesn't matter, except the company offers a "singing delivery service" along with the transportation service.

....I walk another two miles home to discover they completely ignored the "this side up" signs that jbradt put on the package so I find my new heli's roots snapped off...
Actually believing that that the USPS would (or could) honor any specific guidance like this is delusional (imho). The shipper must assume that the package will be thrown around and any specific orientation ignored --- and pack it accordingly.

While I've had a few lost packages and the not-too-humorous-in-the-moment Priority boxes that take three weeks in July heat to arrive, but overall - the very vast majority of my shipments arrive quickly and in reasonable condition. When I ship Saturday am via Priority mail, it arrives at the destination on Monday over 90% of the time (except AK & HI). The biggest risk to my packages seems to be my local carrier - who is a really nice guy but also a complete airhead.

Overall, considering the costs of the competition, this is a bargain. ???

...... and no, I'm not a USPS employee .... :crazy:

If you want to discuss package mistreatment, delays, confiscations & other nastiness, lets get into international shipments :censor: Recently had super-rare, one-of-a-kind seed from South America confiscated by that country's narcotics police (... and yes, the package was going to the USDA Aphis inspection facility with all necessary permits inside) --- aaarrgh!! :censor::censor::censor:

Last edited:
Agreed, even though I have had my bad moments with them. The majority of my packages have arrived quickly and intact. :lol:

I was never under the impression that they would really honor the "this side up" thing. I just figured it couldn't hurt, and if the box runs across someone a little conscientious it might actually help. Just figured, what the heck.

Yea. For a potted plant you pretty much have to mummify the thing to prevent it getting crushed.

Day 6 of still no package. Has been "out for delivery" for 2 of those days. :rant:

What are you supposed to get Travis? Im glad that the one time usps took one day to ship a package was when I was getting a seed grown hamata.

a venusta and red purp montana. Weather isn't too bad out here (high of 60*F) , so really only worried about the venusta.

When that happens I go to the post office and the package is always there, they are just to lazy to notify you so they say its on the truck. This has happened three times for me.

Called the post office yesterday and they said it wasn't there. ;)

Forgot it was Sunday today. :lol:

Back