What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bog of S. purpurea...

I just want to know if its close to NYC?

It is in Pennsylvania, I think its Westmorland or Somerset county.

Agreed. Awesom pics of an awesome site !!

As a side note, while not trying to condemn anyone, or be the TF police, I just want to clarify something: Using the names of God or Jesus as explatives (oh my G-- !, etc) is considered cursing among many people, especially those who believe in the biblical commandment "thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain", and some people will find it offensive. A similar respect for the name of God is held in many other religions as well, besides Christianity and Judeism (though admitedly many of them still "take His name in vain", but not all). Anyway, in trying to respect everyone on TF, I would suggest that we not use that kind of language, just as we wouldn't use the F word. Just something for people to think about. I know none of you meant any harm.

That's my two cents :)

Last edited:
Although I do agree, this is a none religious forum.

Although I do agree, this is a none religious forum.

Of course. I'm not really trying to start a religious conversation either; since, as you said, this is not a religious forum. But I just thought it might be good to keep in mind on a public forum of any kind, with people from many backgrounds and ages, and different beliefs. Everyone can take my comment for what it's worth, or ignore it as well. Their choice. I'm not going to push it. Just saying what's on my mind. Normally it's not an issue anyway, but there was a lot of that kind of language at the begining of this thread.

Oh, I agree, it is a public, and non-everything (religion or lack of) forum, but I also feel that such language is offensive. It's all a universal form of respect, you can say. I respect others' beliefs, yes, even Darwinists, and I hope that others can respect mine. :hug:

/hijack

If I ever say "oh my gawd" or "sweet plant jesus" forgive me, its a habit and I forget.

Amazing pictures. I wished my Purpureas would get color like that in them...

Oh, I agree, it is a public, and non-everything (religion or lack of) forum, but I also feel that such language is offensive. It's all a universal form of respect, you can say. I respect others' beliefs, yes, even Darwinists, and I hope that others can respect mine. :hug:

/hijack

Exactly my point :)
Ironically, I am a "Darwinist" (I beleive in evolution in every sense of the word), but am strongly religious as well. Go fig:-D

Exactly my point :)
Ironically, I am a "Darwinist" (I beleive in evolution in every sense of the word), but am strongly religious as well. Go fig:-D

Hey hey, not disagreeing with you but your bringing your religious viewpoints onto the forum. Some people will disagree with your viewpoint and the fecal matter might hit the oscillating cooling device. Just a friendly reminder, and besides, this thread is about awesome purps.

Amazing pictures. I wished my Purpureas would get color like that in them...

I wish my purp would have a little LESS color. My S. purp. 'venosa' is just pure deep maroon right now. I prefer green with intense red veination (as in peatmoss's photo). A plant can be too green or too red, I guess. At least in my book.
However, if you put my plant in a mix with other more green purps, it would look very nice. It's all about contrast and ballance...and here I am rambling again:blahblah9xm:
:)

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Hey hey, not disagreeing with you but your bringing your religious viewpoints onto the forum. Some people will disagree with your viewpoint and the fecal matter might hit the oscillating cooling device. Just a friendly reminder, and besides, this thread is about awesome purps.

Point respectfully taken. I guess I just tend to speak my mind. I wasn't trying to preach or anything. Thanks man.

"Oscilating cooling device"= awesome word usage :clap: Hehe

heh thanks :lol:

Where is the 'Like' button?

Seriously though! I can't remember how many times I wanted to click "like", including on this thread's awesome pics, and THE BUTTON ISN'T THERE! Any solutions administrators ? :)

Big healthy populations like that are getting rarer and rarer on the U.S. East coast. Hopefully there is something being done to preserve it long term. Do you have any idea what land it's on peatmoss (private land, public land, a preserve, power company land, etc.)? It would be interesting to know from a conservation point of view.

It IS all a matter of taste. I love, love, LOVE purple purps. The darker, the better. Of course, I am also a sucker for the striped ones. I once had some beautiful plants I got off fleaBay, I loved the stripes. I went on vacation, though, and the plant sitter missed the purps. :(

I think it's time to call Andrew and get me more purps. ;)

The bog is located in either a State park or State forest so it is protected, I was chatting with wire man after I gave him the locatin info and he bothered to google the trail. It turns out that the bog was artificially created when the area was logged and there was a big forest fire. The purps were planted in the resulting bog by the local botanical society in the 1950's.

Obviously the plants have done very well in their location and it is a very good thing that this bog is preserved.

I wish my purp would have a little LESS color. My S. purp. 'venosa' is just pure deep maroon right now. I prefer green with intense red veination (as in peatmoss's photo). A plant can be too green or too red, I guess. At least in my book.
However, if you put my plant in a mix with other more green purps, it would look very nice. It's all about contrast and ballance...and here I am rambling again:blahblah9xm:
:)

I'll send you some of the power line seedlings when they grow out a bit more, they are very contrasty. Contrasty enough to show the veining on black & white film without any filters.

These purps are very safe. The place is basically like Joseph Pines, but with just purps.

I'll send you some of the power line seedlings when they grow out a bit more, they are very contrasty. Contrasty enough to show the veining on black & white film without any filters.

These purps are very safe. The place is basically like Joseph Pines, but with just purps.

That would be great Graham, thanks! :) I did manage to get a few seeds of the powerline purps from the plants that Phil had, and he said he didn't care for the seeds. I only got like ten good looking seeds out of the seedheads though. Considering the low number of seeds, and the struggles I told you I had with my seeds on facebook, I don't have terribly high hopes that they will germinate. We'll see in the comming weeks.

The flava var. flava seeds we collected took about a month to germinate, so I wouldn't give up too easily. I did notice those purps had a low seed count. I've been having a fungus problem with mine.

Back