What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latest DIY builds

I need someplace to really set up to get back into illustrating and sculpting so I've been building my own hardware lately...

Drawing/painting/sculpting table:

Top is a former Melamine vivarium stand i took apart, the top is hinged and I designed a pair of locking "steps" so I can hold the top elevated at any angle or lay it flat. APX: $15 wood and metal bits, already had the melamine top.
draftingtable.jpg

Light Table:
With the drawing table top laid flat I can use a light box on it to re-ink pencil sketches
lighttable.jpg

Light Box:
I had to make a light box, not gonna pay $200+ for something as simple as this! 1 x 4 frame, 20 x 32" plexiglass panel and two 15 W T8 under cabinet lamps w/ replaceable bulbs. I may take the lamps out and spray the inside with white primer and replace the lamps, haven't decided yet, my old one I sprayed but I might see how I like it clear. Apx: $50 due to the lamps and plexiglass.
lightbox.jpg

Easel:
This is a monster easel, the canvas attached in the photo is 48" H x 24" W but I designed the easel so I can hold an 8 ft tall x (however wide) canvas.
Apx: $30 wood and metal bits

easel.jpg

I used super cheap pine stud board for the bulk of everything since I wasn't sure my plans with the easel and the table would work out. They did, so if I ever redo any of it I can use oak and make it look all fancy. Though once it's all covered in paint, resin and clay no one will know anyways... At least with pine it's lightweight.

Hey man that's awesome stuff. I like all of it. So you are a painter as well? I'm impressed with your art building setup. I had visions of making one once for my hemping station. Perhaps I will especially with this as inspiration!

Thanks! I'm totally new to painting canvases but I have a very specific goal (look) in mind for my paintings - we'll see how it goes towards my actually achieving it.... they may never see the light of day! :lol:

The table build is very easy especially if you don't need the elevation feature, that took me a night or two of staring at the ceiling before hitting on my plan. I took a few pics along the way of the table and assembling the stepped elevated table prop if anyone needs to see how that works.

I didn't take any of the easel construction cos that was a totally "I hope this actually works" kinda thing. LOL

All of it looks very nice. Diggin' that calendar you've got in the first shot... say, where'd ya get it? ;)

I still vote this forum needs a dedicated DIY section... lots of DIY options in the hobby.

Back