What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adventures in Focus Stacking

• Thread starter Kyle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free
@Butch: Huh, that sounds interesting. I never even considered the option of stacking stacks, lol. And, in Photoshop anyway (dunno about Helicon), you can go through and edit the masks on each layer to compensate for little things, sometimes bigger things like halos if you're somewhat experienced with Photoshop, but bigger things are probably more effort than they're worth. I dove into the masks on a couple and quickly got lost in them. It's kind of a weird concept to wrap your head around. And I've got around a decade of Photoshop experience. o_O

@Brie: Graci. They were all done in Photoshop. Camera was on manual, so exposure and everything stayed the same. The idea to make sure it's well exposed is something I'll try out today. I'll even try overexposing it (not so much that it blows anything out, obviously, just enough to be like "huh, that doesn't look right," lol) and adjusting for that in Photoshop.

One thing I should also note: I had a picture of just one of the flowers against the black background, and it REALLY didn't like that. It wouldn't even process it. Apparently because more than 60% of the image was black, Photoshop got all huffy about it. Said something about at least 40% of the image being something it can see, or else it can't decide where to auto-align. LOL.

Whatevs, silly technology. I'm not sure, but I would venture to guess that the technology to digitally automatically stack images is fairly new, so hopefully things get better in the next few years. There's a lot of potential, for sure. But even the images that are coming out as pretty good for me are still not quite right. They seem to lose some clarity along the way. Which I can't exactly blame Photoshop for, that's GOT to be a ridiculously complex process.

Here're today's trials:
(Click for full size)

I tried using higher apertures combine with fewer slices as well as shooting in RAW, and that seemed to help some. Don't know which of those alterations is the one that helped, or if it was all of them, but they seemed to go a bit smoother. Although I then ended up with banding. It truly is a fine science finding the right aperture:#slices ratio. Lol.

I also tried the above coupled with longer exposures for the Utrics, and it still hated them. Who knows. Maybe if I ever get Helicon, I can find out if it handles such compositions any better.

Your pics are AMAZING! Keep em' coming!!

Thanks, Devon. I'm sure I will keep experimenting with it... I'm determined to get these kinks hammered out. LOL.

Very cool pics...

Reaper... helicon did let you download a 30 day trial, dunno if they still do....
But mate it has its quirks as well...

Seems like in one application it works better than the freeware whereas in another application the freeware works better..

me dunno...

Yeah, I just want more experimenting options. I got more pictures today, but I'm not in the mood to deal with them. I'll download the trial (if they have one) and give it a shot tomorrow. Here's the one I did today, though:

(Click for full size)

I tried Helicon but find because you can get under the hood and fine tune stuff in CombineZ you can many times get better results. Each of the six stacking methods work better depending on the image stack - contrast, DOF, amount of fine detail. Plus it has many other uses beyond focus stacking such a dynamic range enhancement, noise reduction for time exposures, 3D, and movie clips.

I used it to align a timelapse sequence that the main problem was that I accidentally move the plant or had room lights on that changed the flash exposures.

Orginal:

CZ version

And then there's the "3D" functions made from a stack without left and right "eyes". Old set of photos from a few months ago.

"Cross-Eyed" stereogram
left-1.jpg
right-1.jpg

Or red-green anaglyph
3drg.jpg

Or Red Blue anaglyph
3drb.jpg

And finally the "Rocker" effect (click to play video clip):

Last edited:
That stereogram is pretty cool but now my eyes hurt;p

My first attempt. Just grabbed two random pics with different focal points. I'll actually put some effort into this later today.

Pic 1

IMG_7873-1.jpg

Pic 2

IMG_7874-1.jpg

Stacked

IMG_7875.jpg

Great shots everyone! Here's another stack I did today of my Drosophyllum - this one is made from 10 exposures.

Last edited:
Back