What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Water Method

ErrorEN

Your Real Mom
So a few weeks ago I went to my local swapmeet and I met up with one of my friends who actually sells his plants there (sometimes his carnivorous ones. :D). And during one of our conversations he mentioned that he recently began growing water hyacinths in those plastic kiddie pools. When he changes the water out he gives it to his carnivorous plants! (He normally gives them rainwater that he collects.) So that day I went home utterly horrified on what would become of his plants. And now yesterday when I went back, I asked him how his plants were doing. Surprisingly enough (for me at least ), he said that they were doing fine! And some of them were actually speeding up their growth. Hearing about it from him I'm actually considering trying it myself. I'm guessing that the water hyacinths must have done something to the water to make it less fatal to carnivorous plants. Maybe drain it of its nutrients? What do you guys think? :poke:

they are used extensively in fish ponds, as they remove huge amounts of nitrogenous waste.

Do they remove minerals and chemicals in tap water, too?

iirc, yes i believe i do. some metallic ions and certain carbonates as well. cant remember where i read it though.

I'm a bit unclear with some details in your story - "he recently began growing water hyacinths in those plastic kiddie pools". What about the water in these kiddie pools is supposed to be toxic to CPs? Is it because it's tap water & 'assumed' to be full of minerals? Does he fertilize the hyacinths? What are the toxic agents that should be killing the CPs? :scratch:

I'm a bit unclear with some details in your story - "he recently began growing water hyacinths in those plastic kiddie pools". What about the water in these kiddie pools is supposed to be toxic to CPs? Is it because it's tap water & 'assumed' to be full of minerals? Does he fertilize the hyacinths? What are the toxic agents that should be killing the CPs? :scratch:

I guess I forgot to mention the water he used. As far as I know he didn't use any fertilizer, but he gave them tap water that has a high enough concentration of minerals to kill his carnivorous plants. Which would be the reason why he would normally only water his plants with rainwater that he collects. That being mention I guess it must be the minerals in the water that would be killing the plants. :-D

I like to grow Azzola in the water it add nitrogen to the water. I would assume speeding up growth too.

I have to stop by the college again and get another batch.

.... but he gave them tap water that has a high enough concentration of minerals to kill his carnivorous plants.
Do you know what the TDS readings are of his water?

I keep some azzola and duckweed from our fish pond in my trays through the winter months.
Just to be sure I have some next spring.

Do you know what the TDS readings are of his water?
Never asked, but I'll be sure to ask him about it next time I meet him. He lives in Irvine if that helps at all...

Hmmm...would be interesting to see the TDS difference from tap versus the kiddie pool water.

Water hyacinth can remove heavy metals from water as well as excess in nitrogen

We should... EXPERIMENT! :D
I'll let you guys know about if I ever buy some water hyacinths and a TDS meter. :-D I know the TDS of the water around my area is like 238 p.p.m. Definitely bad for carnivorous plants.

Back