What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bio majors, got microscope question

Yann!!!!!!!

woohoo, long time no see.... hey im going to grow me some heli pollen tubes, found a ghetto technique using the membrane from onion and leek

(see thread in pitcher plant subforum)

good to see ya, hope all is well with you, the gf and the dog

All doing well my friend, thanks for asking. Good find on the pollen tube growth method.

Will have to check back in on your shots after you've given it a go. I wouldn't be surprised if by then you'll have figured how to grow a whole new Heli out of just a pollen tube hehe

Have fun

I'm assuming that once you have these minor details ironed out, you will, of course, be able to document (& share) pictures taken with the (previously unmentioned*) camera adapter that I know you must already have ...... :-O I'm especially interested to see your excursions with photo-stacking in the new setup ... :boogie:

Looking forward to some great pics to further our collective knowledge .... :hail:

tia

* but maybe I just missed the obvious in my quick perusal of the thread (& other related threads)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hey Yann - great to see you! Don't be such a stranger! I understand congratulations are in order! Fantastic - my friend! :boogie::boogie::boogie:

been looking at camera adapterrs and digi cams that take the place of eyepiece.... not enought knowledge to know what works and what doesnt.... so no, no adapter yet

will probably wait till i see if i can grow the dang things first :p

Back in the 35mm film SLR days most of the camera manufacturers made microscope adapters. Unfortunately Canon's DSLR mounts are not compatible with them. You should be able to find a generic C/T/T2 mount and an C/T2 mount for your Canon.

Nikon and Pentax are compatible with the old adapters.

Or you can have a custom one made:

http://www.truetex.com/micad.htm

Of course if all you need is 40x you could have just bought a USB microscope:

http://www.bodelin.com/proscopehr/

I have a south bend lathe in my basement ;-)

Av8tor,

yeah oil immersion with a 100x lens might be overkill. If you do use it, try using welled slides. They have a depression dug in. Only use enough oil to cover the specimen. Oil shouldn't be coming out the side of the coverslip.

Side note... the ebay seller contacted me, she found the bottle of immersion oil and is sending it along with some slides she found.

now that is integrity :)

I went with the same basic idea, only using scope's optics.... same sensor, electronics and software i bet

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/686935-REG/Celestron_44421_Digital_Microscope_Imager.html

It replaces one of my 10x eyepieces, I was a little unsure on how it worked.... the sales info doesnt state it has its own optics.
But after a little digging on the company's website... it has a 15x optic

Once that question was answered.... I went for it

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

On a related note, came across this at United Nuclear when I was ordering some GA3

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28_51&products_id=403

Killer price for such a nice little tool IMHO (surplus item it seems)
Hard to get an El Cheapo magnifying glass for that price...

Celestron has good products and support; and when I needed a field microscope that could be thrown into a backpack, I went with them.

Cephalotus seed

CF-5.jpg

Yes, their reviews are good too.... amazon has some very good reviews on the lilttle camera, I got that warm and fuzzy ceph seed feeling when I ordered LOL,

but went with opticsplanet.com for it, they were 10 bucks cheaper

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

I think Im ready to do my heli pollen viability and storage research.... :)

well, once all the stuff arrives LOL

harvested some H. tatei pollen last night, used the H. folliculata I had frozen to pollinate it's newest flower... so we will see if the "saltine cracker" method worked.

The tatei is being dried by desiccant at the moment.

I've got tequila sending up flowers, ionasii sendiing up flowers....

all the stars are in alignment I hope :)

Wow...great going butch! You've managed to sync their cycles! Have fun with your research!

Thanks Jon,
It's going to be a fun project for Christmas break :D

I really hope the Onion/Leek membrane technique works for helis.... If not then doh!

Back