What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pic of the Day

I smell a debate! (or not...)

My opinions:

Brie's is the most photorealistic (which makes sense since that's what she was aiming for), Jon's is the most artistic (No idea if that was your intention, but that's how I feel about it. Looks almost antiqued.), mass's is the most vibrant (which seems to be his style - nothing particularly wrong with that).

I wouldn't say mass's version is overexposed at all. It's very saturated which makes it look very bright, but nothing is blown out or even close to being blown out. And high saturation seems to be what mass likes, so I think he pulled it off well.

Personally, I'm also a photorealism person. True exposure and, more importantly, true color are what I look for in a "wow" picture. I think both can be extremely difficult to achieve, however, given the circumstances. >.>

EDIT: I want a Sypder soo bad, but I think it'd be a waste of money on my laptop's screen. I need to buy a monitor that I use for image processing and get a Spyder for that.

EDITEDIT: I should note that it's a great picture to begin with, Devon. XD That's a lotta prolifera. ;p

Oh I didnt mean there was anything WRONG with travis' photo.. That is indeed his style.. I was just giving my opinion as well.. If say, I took that photo.. I wouldnt use it or upload it, because to me, that's an unusably overexposed photo. lol. But like I said, I tend to aim for dark, contrasty images, which is prolly obvious..

Dec. 28, 2011 Pinguicula 'Aphrodite'
DSC_00230009_hf.jpg

Last edited:
OOoooo.. now THAT'S a perfect photo. I wouldn't change a thing. ;)

That IS a perfect shot, Kula! Nice!!

Hehehehe. I like all of the edits. The only problem with all of the photos, including mine, is the distracting stem in the background. @Kyle: I agree with you, but I also like artistic photos too. Sometimes when I'm really bored, I'll just completely screw up a photo and make it look completely different. :p

I wish i had a style of photography that made me stand out like you peeps..

Does it have to be a plant pic? This is from muh pond. I'm going to go back out more prepared, with a tripod and warmer clothes later. :p

6595088315_88ffce1e21_b.jpg

Great photo Devon!

Does your pic of the day have to be a plant pic? God.. I hope not. No rules here DB.. Just good clean fun. Awesome pic btw.

haha thanks guys. Mass, I'm waiting for you on MW3.

haha thanks guys. Mass, I'm waiting for you on MW3.

I literally despise both MW3 and BF3. Huge disappointments.. I HATE that all 3 of my favorite perks are all in the same location on MW3. I use marathon, sleight of hand, and ghost. All of which are in perk 1. Pisses me off.. And all of the guns suck. Taking both games back tomorrow.
I'm sticking with Black Ops until a new one comes out.

LOL. Okay. I'm not a huge fan of the game either, but I do like black ops. Wanna play black ops tomorrow at 11:00 am?

LOL. Okay. I'm not a huge fan of the game either, but I do like black ops. Wanna play black ops tomorrow at 11:00 am?

Not sure I'll be awake that early.. but we'll see.
I just like how Black Ops is more life sized. Everything seems so darn small in the other games. Like trying to shoot ants..

That is a really cool shot, Devon. Mind sharing what kind of lens and stuff you used for it?

And that's nonsense that you don't have your own style of shooting. I've noticed you place a lot of emphasis on composition, and that says a lot about you as a photographer. It's not easy to think about that kind of thing while you're taking a picture. Especially not when you've got all this other stuff running through your mind like what aperture you should be using, what kind of light you've got, how long an exposure you'll need, yada yada. I love all your photos because they all have a very thoughtful touch to them.

Does it have to be a plant pic? This is from muh pond. I'm going to go back out more prepared, with a tripod and warmer clothes later. :p

6595088315_88ffce1e21_b.jpg

That is an AWESOME pic dude.. good job!

Thanks drew!

That is a really cool shot, Devon. Mind sharing what kind of lens and stuff you used for it?

And that's nonsense that you don't have your own style of shooting. I've noticed you place a lot of emphasis on composition, and that says a lot about you as a photographer. It's not easy to think about that kind of thing while you're taking a picture. Especially not when you've got all this other stuff running through your mind like what aperture you should be using, what kind of light you've got, how long an exposure you'll need, yada yada. I love all your photos because they all have a very thoughtful touch to them.

:3 Thanks Kyle. Such a kind compliment. Thank you very much.. :)

I'm using a Panasonic DMC-FZ150. The lens is a Panasonic DMW-LC55, and I also got the DMW-LA5 extender so I can actually attach it to my camera. :p I got all of this stuff, including remote shutter, for christmas!! The camera was and early present though.

Thanks again.

That is an AWESOME pic dude.. good job!

Thanks Brie!!

@Mass: Okey. Well I will wait for 15 min at 11:00. :p No worries if you want to sleep in... I know I want to.

Also, am I allowed to post 2 or 3 pics here next time?

WOW!! Amazing difference between spec x vent and vent x spec. I'll take you're vent x spec any day..

But Travis, you don't like ventricosa hybrids!!! LOL
This isn't my plant, but I have a small division of it in my GH. Can't wait to see it mature. J & J's plant was astonishing. Those pitchers were about 10" tall each!

Back