What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite animal photos...

Excellent shots everyone! Good to see so many herp shots on here. :D I spend most of my time looking for and photographing herps, so that's what all my favorite shots are of (except some arthropods).

Brown Vinesnake (Oxybelis aeneus) as found, Santa Cruz Co., AZ

San Francisco Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis tetrataenia), San Mateo Co., CA

Mountain Gartersnake (Thamnophis elegans elegans), Alpine Co., CA

Yosemite Toad (Anaxyrus canorus), Alpine Co., CA

Brown Basilisk (Basiliscus vittatus), Puerto Viejo, Costa Rica

Jumping Spider (Salticidae), San Isidro, Costa Rica

Long-tailed Skipper (Urbanus proteus), Chirripo National Park, Costa Rica

Brown Vinesnake (Oxybelis aeneus), Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica

Eyelash Viper (Bothriechis schlegelii), La Selva Biological Station, Costa Rica

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus oreganus), San Mateo Co., CA

Lynx spider (Oxyopes sp.), Marin Co., CA

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus oreganus), Marin Co., CA

Jumping Spider (Salticidae), Marin Co., CA

Aquatic leaf beetle (Chrysomelidae), Marin Co., CA

Sonoran Gophersnake (Pituophis catenifer affinis), Pima Co., AZ

Rubber Boa (Charina bottae), Marin Co., CA

California Red-sided Gartersnake (Thamnophis sirtalis infernalis), Marin Co., CA

I'll stop here... Too many awesome animals, lol.

Last edited:
ZOMG YOU FOUND SAN FRAN GARTERS AND BROWN VINES!!! *brain explodes* I was up on Ruby Road in AZ looking for brown vines along with AZ green rats.. Never found vines.. so jealous! and those san fran garters. GUH! great pics all around Natalie!

Those garters are so colorful! Excellent shots of the jumping spiders. I found one today, but it refused to be handled for a photo.

nice rubber boa, unfortunately i live on the wrong side of the state for them.....did live on the right side for about 6 months but most of that was fall and winter....

Really awesome pictures everyone.. I'm really impressed by the amount of wildlife and quality of cameras you guys have found and invested in.

I guess I can't really compare because I'm not a very prolific wildlife photographer and my cameras have never been very good, but here's a few!

Taricha granulosa

Picture250.jpg

Picture257.jpg

Bufo boreas and Drosera rotundifolia

SANY0584.jpg

Bufo boreas

SANY0632.jpg

Pacific Red octopus

SANY0335.jpg

Tube worms

SANY0325.jpg

Sea cucumbers

SANY0339.jpg

Ambystoma macrodactylum

DSCN5946.jpg

Western Fence lizard

DSCN5970.jpg

Brown Vinesnake (Oxybelis aeneus) as found, Santa Cruz Co., AZ

Nice, I spent a ton of time in Santa Cruz county looking for aeneus while I was in AZ, no such luck for me.

Dex good portion of the macro shots of the frogs in my post are with a $250 point and shoot....

Brie - Thanks! Yeah, the vinesnake was a pretty sweet find, they are probably my second favorite snake species in the US after Rubber Boas. I've never seen a Green Ratsnake though, and they're supposed to be a lot more common than Brown Vinesnakes (which I've found two years in a row in Arizona). That vinesnake in the first photo was found this September after the monsoon - when I didn't see any the first day I went looking for them, I was worried the entire US population of them got extirpated in the fires that burned that entire portion of the state that spring (notice all the blackened, crispy vegetation in that photo). Luckily, some of them must have been underground when the flames came through and survived the inferno! I was completely stoked when I found that guy.

Wire Man - Don't give up on the jumping spiders! I've found that the best way to photograph them is to simply do it where they are found or gently nudge them into a better position. They are intelligent little critters, and tend to freak out if you try to catch them. They all tend to have individual personalities too - some will run and hide as soon as they see the camera, while others will stay put or even turn to look at the camera, seemingly curious as to what it is.

Dexenthes - Awesome finds! I love the shot of the toad with the Drosera... What shot could be better than one that combines herps and CPs? :D Regarding your lizard photo, I think that one might actually be a female Western Side-Blotched Lizard, Uta stansburiana elegans, since the scales look very small and granular in your photo, too small to be Sceloporus I think. Where was that photo taken? Take a look at the scales of a Western Fence Lizard here and compare it to the Western Side-Blotched Lizard here. Hard to tell from the photo though.

Aric - Yep, I hear that story a lot... People who spend many years/decades looking for vinesnakes and never turn any up. For some reason I seem to be the opposite, my friends say I'm a vinesnake magnet. Back in 2010 during my second trip to Arizona, I accidentally parked my car next to a vinesnake in a bush when I stopped for a lunch break. Then when I went to Costa Rica in June, I found four more (several people I know who were down there at a similar time didn't find any). And then this September I managed to spot another one in a burned bush as I was driving up the road (that's the one in the first image in my post). Here's the one I found in 2010:

Brown Vinesnake (Oxybelis aeneus), Santa Cruz Co., AZ

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

nice rubber boa, unfortunately i live on the wrong side of the state for them.....did live on the right side for about 6 months but most of that was fall and winter....
Skipped this post somehow... Where are you located? Rubber Boas are pretty widespread in California, Oregon, and Washington, so if you live in one of those states, you're probably within a couple hour's dive from them. Here along the Northern California coast, Rubber Boas can actually be found year-round. Males in many areas don't seem to brumate, and can be found under surface cover even in the winter as long as the temperatures are above freezing. The one pictured in my hand was found under a board this past January on a cloudy, 45-degree day.

Curse the lack of Canadian herp diversity... :-(

Awesome photos though!

I think everyone will know what this is:

tuataraedit.jpg

yay Tuatara! or however the heck its spelled lol.. Where was that taken? Not a while lota of those in captivity.. They are such cool little dinosaurs!

Here's the St Louis Zoo's tuatara breeding pens with one inhabitant....

TuataraMacro.jpg

TuataraEnclosures.jpg

I want to see a tuatara! I don't think I have, even in zoos. :( Seeing one in the wild would be most incredible though.

It was taken at the Toledo zoo. They have a really great exhibit and a great reptile collection overall.

100_8702.jpg

Picture010-10.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture-1.jpg

Nice photos Jim, Love the one of the fly on the Sundew!

I figure it is about time to bring this post back!

I went to the Toronto zoo with my new camera last week and though the results were not great some of the photos look pretty good after being edited very heavily:

Seahorse lookin like its got a bit of a beer gut:
zooandsundewsp072.jpg

Nice little green tree python with good colouration:
zooandsundewsp058.jpg

Red clawed yabby with better colouration than the green tree python:
zooandsundewsp057.jpg

I know this is a Canadian native, is it called a nothern pacific rattlesnake? I can't remember:
zooandsundewsp038.jpg

Glass frog:
zooandsundewsp033.jpg

Some fish, cichlids I believe:
zooandsundewsp028.jpg

zooandsundewsp027.jpg

zooandsundewsp024.jpg

Mullers chameleon:
zooandsundewsp020.jpg

Gaboon viper:
zooandsundewsp007.jpg

Crocodile newt, I think:
zooandsundewsp004.jpg

Softshell, going all jaws with that look on his face:
zooandsundewsp003.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Wow that's quite the array of awesome animals!

Great shots! Yes, your rattler appears to be a Northern Pacific, Crotalus oreganus oreganus. In Canada they are found only in southern British Columbia.

Some of my pets:

Planning their escape

IMG_7320x1.jpg
[/IMG]

Raccoon food

IMG_9159.jpg
[/IMG]

Yard critters

IMG_8914.jpg
[/IMG]

Mantisyellowtrumpet.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_8189x1.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6891.jpg

IMG_8100x1.jpg

Wouldn't this make a cool puzzle?

Starfishcannonbeach.jpg
[/IMG]

Snake.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Some exquisite photos! I wish we had garters that colorful here in MI, but ours are ... well ... quite drab.

Don't really have anything that favorably compares to much of what has been posted. But here are a few older ones from an online album as I am visiting family up state.

MGbutterfly6b2048x1536.jpg

MGmoth12048x1536.jpg

femalecardinal-1.jpg

HbtBjumpOvation2Bsm.jpg

Osirisbookshelf3sm.jpg

Peanutwheredthatcomefromsm.jpg

PeanutJurassicParkseriesIIBclaws.jpg

balls-icon.png

Last edited:
Back