What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "What Should I Get?" Thread

• Thread starter ErrorEN
  • Start date

ErrorEN

Your Real Mom
-------

Last edited:
personally eric, the best plant for you to get are the ones that you want the most...people have different opinions and tastes, not to mention the prices of certain plants can be a tad bit on the expensive side. also, it might be more practical to purchase plants that are more adapted to your conditions.

as for suggestions:
try a few nepenthes species or hybrids...my favorite nep in my care is my jamban, and i find aristolochioides and jacquelineae and platychilla appealing to me.

ya know what? go with the platychilla---gorgeous upper pitchers, and intermediate conditions will allow it to thrive all year around in anaheim.

Go with N. klossii x edwardsiana.

It's cheap, easy to come by, and super vigorous.

Not to mention gorgeous!

oh my goodness - platychila
5717377157_396b63b467.jpg

Seriously, platychila! Gorgeous lowers like vogelli, nice intermediates that are infundibular-ish with spots, AMAZING peristome uppers! Here's some pics of mine over the last two years. You can't go wrong with it - it grows warm/intermediate.

P6210006.jpg

P6250002.jpg

PC020042.jpg

P6050023.jpg

P4290044.jpg

P4290032.jpg

P8110008.jpg

P9250044.jpg

PA030004.jpg

PA170004.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

Go with N. klossii x edwardsiana.

It's cheap, easy to come by, and super vigorous.

Not to mention gorgeous!

Oh yeh theyre running about $5 a plant right? :-))

Veitchii x platychila is a looker aswell!

How about N.ovata?

Lower
Novata_7-23-11.jpg

Intermediate
Novata_12-1-11.jpg

Upper
Novata-upper_12-1-11.jpg

The bee! :cry:
Very beautiful plants.

Good gravy! *Takes off sunglasses* :0o: Platychila looks amazing! I was thinking about a Ventricosa x Hamata or Spathulata x Hamata, but those look great too! The search begins! :-)) Any other suggestions?

Get a Drosophyllum !

I would get a ventricosa x hamata if I were you, honestly I think it will turn out to be an easy and very rewarding plant.

Back again! :D I was going to get a Ventricosa x Hamata, but then lo and behold! I saw something else! A Spathulata x Hamata. :p Overall, which one do you guys think would be a more promising cross? Still leaning towards the Ventricosa cross from all of the pictures I've seen, but the Spathulata cross looks very nice as well. What do you guys think?

I think that could be a toss up, it depends one what one you would find more appealing in the long run. I'd bet the ventricosa parentage might prove more vigorous and adaptable, but spathulata is not a bad choice either.

Well if you're aiming for spath x hamata, you might as well aim for singalana x hamata :lol:

I agree with the singalana x hamata, they look wicked!

Back