What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Save Username & Password

• Thread starter jimscott
  • Start date

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Mozilla Firefox is ticking me off a bit. I have 8.0 and Vista. It says that it is saving my usernames and passwords and I can see the place that it is doing so. However, everytime I wantto login, I have to "reinvent the wheel". It used to be that the cookies were saved and I just had to click a site's link. Not anymore. Why and what can I do?

I haven't noticed anything different in that regard since upgrading to Firefox 8.x, but then I'm still on WinXP. Have you checked the "remember me" box when you logged in? Once checked you usually don't have to check it again unless you delete your cookies.

How do you have your Cookies set under Options -> Privacy -> Cookies? Mine is set to "accept cookies from sites - keep until they expire."

If you are in a Private Browsing session cookies will be deleted when you end the session. Firefox can be set to always start in Private sessions.

Also if you have a network security/anti-virus package it might be set to delete/block cookies.

I always choose the "remember me" box I'll look into the others. Thanks!

You might need to give it a whack on the side of the head.

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Show Cookies - and search and destroy the cookies for terraforums.com
and
Tools -> Options -> Security -> Saved Passwords - and search and destroy the saved password(s) for terraforums.com

My computer has Alzheimers!

I haven't noticed anything different in that regard since upgrading to Firefox 8.x, but then I'm still on WinXP. Have you checked the "remember me" box when you logged in? Once checked you usually don't have to check it again unless you delete your cookies.

How do you have your Cookies set under Options -> Privacy -> Cookies? Mine is set to "accept cookies from sites - keep until they expire."

If you are in a Private Browsing session cookies will be deleted when you end the session. Firefox can be set to always start in Private sessions.

Also if you have a network security/anti-virus package it might be set to delete/block cookies.

I tried accepting cookies from a handful of sites I visit, mainly the plant forums and Photobucket. That didn't solve the problem. I think it might be the antivirus package and I really don't want to mess with that. Looks like I'll just have to live with "reinventing the wheel". Thanks for trying for me.

Is it just Terraforums or other sites too?

Check Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords - Exceptions and remove terraforums if it's in there.

It's all forums. There is nothing in the exceptions field.

Sounds like it is probably something in the firewall/virus/spyware scanner. However Firefox support/forums say:

Make sure that you not run Firefox in permanent Private Browsing mode.

1. You enter Private Browsing mode if you select: Tools > Options > Privacy > History: Firefox will: "Never Remember History"
  2. To see all History and Cookie settings, choose: Tools > Options > Privacy, choose the setting Firefox will: Use custom settings for history
  3. Uncheck: [ ] "Permanent Private Browsing mode"
Websites remembering you and automatically log you in is stored in a cookie.
  1. Create an allow cookie exception (Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: Exceptions) to keep such a cookie, especially for secure websites and if cookies expire when Firefox is closed.
  2. Do not use Clear Recent History to clear the "Cookies" and the "Site Preferences"
Clearing "Site Preferences" clears all exceptions for cookies, images, pop-up windows, software installation, and passwords.

Firefox may be set to remove saved passwords when it is closed. To undo this setting:

1. At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button (Tools menu in Windows XP) and then click Options.
  2. Select the Privacy panel.
  3. If Firefox will: is set to Use custom settings for history and Clear history when Firefox closes is selected, click on the Settings... button.
  4. Make sure that Saved Passwords is not selected.
  5. Click OK to close the Options window.
Firefox is now configured to not clear your passwords when closing.

Back