What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My company has bought a flash for my camera

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Our annual work holiday party is coming up soon and the various department heads started complaining that our building never has any event pictures up on the company website like our sister buildings do. Events like Family Day, Summer picnics, etc. These events, like the holiday party are held by the individual buildings within the company.

Well yesterday i was asked if I would take the pictures at the upcoming party. I pointed out that I'd be happy to but without an external flash I would be limited. But that i would still do so if they liked.

As a joke I printed out the adds from KEH, Amazon, B&H and Adorama to show the price range of flashes, both used and new. I circled a few that fit my camera ranging in price from $100 to $225 and handed it in to the event committee and told them "Buy me a flash and I'll be the event photographer"

This morning my building administrator came into my office with one of the flashes circled and said he would authorize up to $150.00 out of petty cash for the flash. Any more I would have to pay myself. :-O

Guess who will be taking the pictures from now on? It doesn't hurt that I usually have a camera with me, but now they'll expect the Olympus DSLR with it's company flash on it. At least I get to keep it between events. :-D

Congrats! It should help with those tough dark CP photos as well :-D

Nice! And yay for another Olypus user.

Nice! And yay for another Olypus user.

Ayup. In my film days I was into pentax, thus so was my first DSLR. Then as my joints started to give me problems I switched to an Oly E-410 as a trial to see if the smaller size made a difference. It did, so I passed the pentax with three zoom lenses on to my daughter.
I bought an extension tube for the olympus and kept my good pentx primes, including a macro, and use them with an adaptor on the olys.
This past summer I picked up a refurbished E-620 and am thinking of having the 410 converted to IR.

Your daughter is very lucky! I got to use a 1970s Pentax ME-Super for my film class until I figured out how to work this beautiful gem. It's the most difficult thing to load! I have to have someone hold the camera upside down with the shutter open on Bulb while I drop the film into place in order to get it to work correctly. No batteries either, so it's not easy to shoot either, but it's definitely worth it.

Leica IIf by Wire Man, on Flickr

That's probably much lighter than my E-5. Carrying that thing around for field work this summer as not easy. Gotta love the macro lenses, by far the best lens on mine. Where did you get a lens converter? I have the hardest time finding those.
Definitely do the IR conversion! I've been thinking of doing that to the old E-500, just because the images look so cool!

I found my adaptor through a private seller on fourthirds photo forums. It's manual only but then so are my older primes. LOL. The only issue is I have to focus wide open, then stop down to shooting f-stop otherwise the viewfinder becomes too dark to focus properly. I learned on a Pentax K-1000. The batteries were only good for powering the meter, match needle type. so many times I did without.
My husband complains that I still keep film in the refrigerator. 35mm print, slide and 220 roll film. yet he had been the photography major in college, not me.

yay. I need to get my wife's office to do that. they don't seem to understand that pics at night of functions dont seem to work really well.

Sweet, external flash will make a huge difference in your photos, no more ugly harsh shadows right behind your subject.

Just Google search on Pentax K 4/3 or 4:3 or four thirds adapter. They range from $30 to $180. If you have a mirror-less camera then you need a Micro 4/3 adapter. Whole different ball game. Not all your Pentax lens will work on these adapters. In general you get what you pay for but I've heard of people having problems with the $180 adapter and none with the same lens and camera with a $30 one. And then you read about people having to go through 3 of the $30 ones until they got one that fit/worked with their lens(es). YMMV

Cameraquest is one of the oldest supplier/reseller of adapters:
http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

The Leica has a match needle exposure meter too, but it's a separate piece of equipment and doesn't work that well anymore.
That's ironic about the film.
I need to find an adapter for the Leica lenses, they're too good not to use.

Just Google search on Pentax K 4/3 or 4:3 or four thirds adapter. They range from $30 to $180. If you have a mirror-less camera then you need a Micro 4/3 adapter. Whole different ball game. Not all your Pentax lens will work on these adapters. In general you get what you pay for but I've heard of people having problems with the $180 adapter and none with the same lens and camera with a $30 one. And then you read about people having to go through 3 of the $30 ones until they got one that fit/worked with their lens(es). YMMV

Cameraquest is one of the oldest supplier/reseller of adapters:
http://www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

I've the $30 one, works fine. i don't do m4/3..i like mirrors :lol:

Party is over..got 96 KEEPERS and about 35 others i can work with if they really want, but not offering to unless they ask.

Back