What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks!

D. whatever flowerstalk, did some weird stuff with the contrast on this one:

DSC_0007-2.jpg

D. spatulata, this form has pink flowers:

DSC_0006-3.jpg

D. capillaris, long arm, belem:

DSC_0004-3.jpg

Those seedlings I posted pics of earlier were not Byblis, actually some kind of weed, these are the real thing:

DSC_0003-4.jpg

Flytraps germinating:

DSC_0002-3.jpg

Thanks!

I am in the process of reorganizing my photobucket, so some photos may disappear for a while, but I will try to return as many as possible to this thread, maybe not in older threads but at least in this one.

D. whatever:
DSC_0001.jpg

D. filliformis "florida red":
DSC_0003.jpg

D. capillaris "long arm, belem":
DSC_0004.jpg

D. adelae:
DSC_0005.jpg

D. capensis "narrow":
DSC_0006.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Very good shots, thanks for sharing :)

Peat: Absolutely stunning. Which camera/lens combo are you using?

Lovely pics! I'd be happy if my dews look half as nice as yours!

Thanks!

Right now I shoot on a Nikon D5100 with a 40mm NIKKOR micro/macro lens, seems to do the job, but the quality of the macro lens makes all the difference, compared to the kit lens that the camera came with the quality is massively better!

I also forgot to mention that this is my first batch of pics shot with the camera capturing images on RAW mode instead of JPEG, apparently this makes a big difference in editing and photo quality. (I have been reading up on the whole photography game:-)))

Thanks again!

Great pictures!

It's really only worth shooting RAW if you do some post-processing, even if it's just to crop. I don't know how much you already know about picture formats, but the gist of it is that JPEG is a lossy format, meaning you lose some data from the file every time you save it. When you shoot in JPEG, it saves the file from the RAW data, then disposes of the RAW file; essentially, you've already lost some data before you even touched the file. So it's already considered a "first generation" JPEG, in that it's the first time the image has been saved as a JPEG. When you open it and edit it in Photoshop, for example, then save it again as JPEG, you lose more data and it's known as a second generation JPEG. Every time you save a JPEG, the data is compressed and some of it is lost. A rule of thumb is you shouldn't ever use JPEGs for printing (assuming you're going for professional-level quality) unless it is a first generation JPEG.

So, if you shoot in RAW, open the RAW file in Photoshop, do your editing, and save as JPEG, you've not yet lost enough data that anyone is going to notice, because it's still first generation.

Hope that makes sense, lol. >.<

I love this thread. Great photography and plants!

Thanks!

Kyle, that was about what I thought happened, interesting about losing data in JPEG though. You can probably tell that I post process the heck out of my photos so I figure it is probably worth shooting on RAW.

Nice! I take it you're a dew-dude?

Yep, dews all the way. I love Neps too and I want to expand my collection of them once my new setup is done, they just don't appreciate my conditions right now.

So I went out and bought a polarizing filter for my macro lens, apparently it will reduce unwanted reflections and make my pics look a bit more "contrasty" or whatever. I like it so far, makes the pics look better if I have it on the right setting.

I also got a little infrared remote trigger so I don't have to wait ten seconds for the delayed timer to work.

D. capensis "red":

DSC_0001-4.jpg

D. adelae again:
DSC_0002-4.jpg

Proof I grow something other than Drosera, N. veitchii:
DSC_0003-5.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I keep forgetting to use my polarizing filter with my plants..... Must remember next time, it looks really good.

Thanks!

I think it made the biggest difference on the Adele pic, looks much nicer than the previous close ups of that plant.

And guess what! I am back!

The plants seem to have taken to their new conditions although I still need to find and install some new fans.

Just two pics, the only ones that turned out.

Byblis seedlings are getting bigger:

DSC_0003-7.jpg

D. burmanii "beerwah, australia":
DSC_0004-5.jpg

Back